What is ABT

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by mustangkid, Jan 22, 2008.

1. mustangkid

mustangkid Newbie

I tried to search this before posting and couldn't find anything on this term. There is posting's on FATTIES but I would like to know what "ABT" is abbreviation for [​IMG] I have seen what some look like but no explanation for the ABT. Hope someone can help straighten me out.

2. ron50

ron50 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

NY
    ABT stands for Atomic Buffalo Turd. They are jalapeno peppers which are seeded and stuffes with your choice of cheese, meat or other items, wrapped in bacon, then smoked.

3. longshot

longshot Meat Mopper OTBS Member

Manna from heaven Kid, Manna from heaven!!!

4. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I agree!!

5. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Excellent reply Flash!

6. morkdach

morkdach Master of the Pit OTBS Member

GAURANTEED make em once and your hooked

7. OMG I had never even heard of these, but am about to run to the store to get some ingredients and fire up the ECB!!!!

8. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

You will love them and I guarantee they will be a hit!

9. jc1947

jc1947 Smoking Fanatic

Habaneros make even better ABTs IMHO

JC1947

10. I sure love those things but Habaneros. Sounds good but I would be afraid to try them.

11. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

You'll get hooked

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. So, is there a way to cut down some of the hotness of the pepper?  I mean, I like jalapeños but worry that it would be too hot for me if I ate a large piece of one.  Some options?

13. teeznuts

teeznuts Master of the Pit

Just get all the seeds and the membrane out and there shouldn't be much heat. I missed a seed up top but for the most part I got em all and they didn't have much heat.

[​IMG]

14. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

Use banana peppers.

15. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Just don`t eat to many your first time out you will pay for it the next day.....

16. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I always find if you get the seeds and the membranes there is almost no heat at all. 

17. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Seems to me that the large Jap' farms have been breeding the heat out to make a mild chile, used for Jalapeno Poppers, the general public can eat coming from Restaurants and the Frozen Food isle of grocery stores...I bought 2 dozen Jap's to make ABT's and 4 of them had any heat, we were adding Hot Sauce to kick them up...JJ

18. Teez, what a cool knife! What is it called? I need to get one asap! Just made my first ABTs ever today and i'm a believer!!!

19. And yes, by coring them and removing all seeds most of them were very mild. I did get surprised by a couple that were randomly fiery. But overall i would say next time i need to supplement with extra heat.