What is a typical smoked sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mark wieland

Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
Is there a typical type of smoked sausage style?  I am opening a BBQ concession trailer in the Spring and plan to sell brisket, pulled pork, smoked turkey and maybe smoked sausage.  I am having trouble figuring out what the standards are that you might find in the famous BBQ regions.

Mark

Is there a typical type of smoked sausage style?  I am opening a BBQ concession trailer in the Spring and plan to sell brisket, pulled pork, smoked turkey and maybe smoked sausage.  I am having trouble figuring out what the standards are that you might find in the famous BBQ regions.

Mark
Food trucks by me carry Smoked Kielbasi and Sauerkraut

Richie

You may want to add your location to your profile 

Last edited:
Could be varied. Texas Hot Links, can be all beef or beef and pork. Basic seasoning salt, pepper, cayenne and cure #1. Add Garlic to that and you have a basic Andouille. Leave out the cayenne and you got Kielbasa. Just salt, pepper and cure, is a basic Smoked Country Sausage. Now you can add a variety of herbs and spices. Coriander, anise and allspice to Hot Links. Thyme and/or other herbs and red pepper flakes to Andouille. Marjoram and maybe mustard seed to Kielbasa and sage to the Country Sausage. Lastly you can develop your own Signature Smokey and start a revolution! Search some you would like to try and you will find lots of recipes...JJ 

It may also depend upon where you are selling your wares.  In Texas, like Jimmy said, a hot link works well, but so does a kielbasa that is black pepper heavy.  In other parts of the US, I've seen standard polish sausage that's smoked and also some varieties that were touted as German sausage...  The style that popular in your area with your special twist may work well.

Yep great answers above,,, Good luck on your adventure and let us know how its going!!

Dave great chart thanks.

A full smoker is a happy smoker - Stay happy 

DS

Like CB said, tastes tend to be regional. You may be successful introducing a 'new' taste to the area you are located in. Set yourself apart from the other vendors in the area.

Like CB said, tastes tend to be regional. You may be successful introducing a 'new' taste to the area you are located in. Set yourself apart from the other vendors in the area.
There was a TV show where a guy with a sausage cart in , I believe, the PNW broke the mold by featuring Game and Exotic Sausages. You can go with a basic smokey and play with your own creation as a Feature of the week...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky