What is a "Franken Chicken"? W/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wingman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 18, 2009
Tacoma, WA
You had to know didn't you.
icon_wink.gif

I was trying to come up with something out of the box and I was thinking of mu favorite chicken dishes. Chicken Cordon Bleu, Buffalo Wings and Teriyaki chicken. I thought why not combine it all in a whole yardbird. I wasn't sure what to call it at first. I could only come up with "Franken Chicken". like Franken Stein...
icon_redface.gif

It starts with two pieces of Black Forest Ham rolled up around some garlic & herb cheese and Jack Daniels Honey Dijon mustard. I make two of these. I then cut open a cavity in each breast and pour in some Zesty Italian dressing. For flavor and it makes getting the ham rolls in much easier.

franken-chicken1.jpg

Once they are both inserted I mixed 3 tbsp melted butter and 3 tbsp Frank's RedHot for buffalo sauce. I injected the wings with the buffalo sauce for Buffalo Wings. All this is on the bird by the way...

franken-chicken2.jpg

Next I mixed 1/3 cup Yoshida's and 1/2 cup pineapple juice for a sweet Teriyaki. I injected this into the thighs and legs.

franken-chicken3.jpg

From here I mopped the bird with butter and dusted it with garlic powder. This was followed by a mopping of Zesty Italian dressing and then McCormick's Sweet & Smoky rub. then I rubbed in some brown sugar and a dash of Mrs. Dash. A low & slow smoke on the Traeger tp 165 degrees produced a very tasty bird.

franken-chicken4.jpg

This is a fun smoke for the family. A little something for everyone. My only regret is not making at least two.
franken-chicken4b.jpg

franken-chicken5.jpg

This really turned ou well.
franken-chicken6.jpg

That looks great, Wingman. I did two birds yesterday-went with Olive oil, Mrs. Dash Chicken grill and some garlic salt. They will be dinner for Tuesday night.

Yes you have to get some
points.gif
for that one. It is very creative all right. It looks awesome and delicious too. Great job

Ha Ha! Keyword there is "almost"...

Thanks all. Just sharing the yardbird love! I have to admit... I had planned to put the pineapple rings on top 1/2 way through the smoke but my daughter ate them. When I went for the can... Nothing but juice!
icon_question.gif

Wingman, food and art have just collided... the aftermath was beautiful. I wanna try that. Especially the cordon blue part. Bet it was juicy!

Verry creative.... Looks like you did a heck of a job there. Thats what i love about this site. Seeing some of these posts are really inspiring. Just goes to show what you can do with some ingredients and a little imagination.
points.gif

HA! no a couple of beers and I would have wrapped Franken Chicken in bacon!
icon_wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky