What internal temp do I need?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lintonkennels

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Salesville Ohio
I am going to do some spare ribs over at my dads tommrow and was wondering what internal temp to bring them to and what would u guys set the temp at? I am also going to do a couple Beer can chickens.

I can't help you with the rib temp, I just go by looks and I cook them in 225-240 range.

I can tell you that you want to cook your birds around 325 and take them to 180 in the breast. I love smoking beercan chicken, It will be very juicy especially if you brine them!

Good luck!

Ribs er time not temp. Spares do the 3-2-1 method er a variation there of.

3 is three hours a smoke.
2 is two hours wrapped in foil.
1 is one hour back on the grates ta firm em up.

I do bout 2-1.5-.5, when they bend nicely an the bone is just startin ta move a bit mine er finished. I smoke at 250° - 275°.

Ya can add a bit of moisture durin the foil process an help em braize some.

Ribs bein what they are, ya ain't never gonna get a accurate temp readin cause there just ain't that much meat there.

Its hard to get accurate temps on ribs. The 3-2-1 method is almost foolproof. On the last stage, you can use a toothpick to test for doneness. If it slides in like soft butter, the ribs are done.

ribs - you're looking for about 172 - maybe 175.

chicken - i wouldn't go any higher than 170 myself.

What he said. I usually take chicken to 165.

Regards the ribs, check out some posts here. You will usally get some pullback of the meat from the end of the bone and the rack should flex a lot when you pick up one end.

Do a few racks and you'll get the hang of it. Just don't overcook. I you are in doubt whether they are done or not, cut a rack and check out a thick one.

3-2-1 is good to start out. I do that and I also cook without foiling, just lots of mop every hour or so.

As said 321 411, 221, it isn't about temp it is about time, at about 2-3 hours start checking for how much pull back you have, and take a set of tong and lift a whole rack there should be some nice flex not stiff. On pull back I start thinking about foil or the next stage when there is 1/4" pull back on most of the ribs. When you foil the ribs, they will still be cooking and may reach 1/2" pull back while in the foil. When you open the foil packet, try and pull off the last bone on the smaller end, you will know how done they are from this test.

I agree that you don't go ny temp with ribs - it's more look and feel. I cook mine longer at around 230 degrees, and I usually don't foil until I pull them off and cooler them. You will see some pulling back of the meat from the end of the bone and they will bend easily when you pick them up.
I see you are also doing chickens - you didn't mention what kind of cooker you are using so I'm not sure what kind of set up you will have - please remember to keep the chicken from dripping on the ribs - is you are cooking them on over the other put the chicken on the bottom. Good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky