What flavor is best for cheese?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dennis s

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Kennewick, WA
I'm going to smoke some Cheddar, pepper jack, Colby. I've got some peach, plum, apple and cherry dust. Has anyone used peach or plum for cheese? How long should I smoke it for?

Thanks 

Last edited:
I almost always use hickory for cheese. Since you don't have hickory I would go with what Teez said. Apple & cherry for 3-4 hours.

I have used hickory, apple, and peach.  Of the three I like apple the most with peach a very close second.  I found hickory to have a little to much bite for me with cheese.  I also smoke cheese for about 4 hours.

I'm surprised that people are saying 3-4 hours.  I usually go 10-12 hours with 8 being the shortest. 

i use pecan, apple, or hickory,, i only smoke for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs  depending if you like a a little smoke taste or a lot

i found most women i smoke cheese  for only like  a hint of smoke,, also add a pan of ice

in your smoker to help cheese from melting, again everyone is different that why

smoking and bbq is so popular... remember i can get your recipe and when i'm  done it  will taste different

than yours,,, i smoke 10-30  lbs of cheese  a week for people and everyone is different in their taste,, you can't go

wrong  unless you melt it....lol.. good luck..

I smoke a fair amount of cheese and really like the combo of apple and pecan.  I use my AMNPS and smoke for 3-4 hours at most. The hard part is the 2 week wait. 

I really think the type of wood and the length of smoke depend on personal preference, type of equipment and method.

I use the AMNS and our family likes a mix of maple and cherry smoked for 3 to 4 hours.

I would experiment and find a combo that suits your family and friends.

Good luck and good smoking.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I think I will try apple and peach. I will try and get some qview pics also. Thanks again.

If you are OK with buying more dust I'd go with the bourbon barrel.  In my opinion that makes the best cheese hands down.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky