Water pan vs ceramic plate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rommoz

Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Gonna build a uds... My inital thoughts were water pan...then i thought ceramic plate instead... Then I thought what about a ceramic water pan? Any thoughts on this matter? I'm a rookie looking to avoid big mistakes

Never used a water pan because I don't want the build up of condensation from the water dripping from the lid back on to my meat, and have never had any complaints of my meat being to dry unless I cooked it too long.
My .02

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The "water" pan would be more versatile as it can be filled with either water or sand. Both will help with your heat management depending on what you are cooking. If you do use water in the pan, once the smoking chamber has reached temperature, condensation should not be an issue.

I've tried using a water pan under the meat, and frankly did not like the results at all.  While the meat was moist, the outside had virtually no bark on it, and I am one who covets a nice dark bark.  I've since gone to using a dry disposeable turkey roaster pan over the charcoal basket just as a direct heat deflector, but am considering getting a cast iron pizza pan to use as the same thing.  I've seen some 14" ones around for just over $20, but for a 22" drum I think a 16' or 18" deflector would be even better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky