Waking Up To a Nice Butt (QView to come later!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pearlheartgtr

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
Long Island, NY
Got up at 7am to get the MES 30 warmed up. Got the butt in about 7:30. Now it's back to bed to get up in a few hours for work.

I got my AMNPS in the mail yesterday (super fast shipping!) along with a bag of Oak and a bag of Pitmaster pellets. Last night, I gave it a dry burn in the smoker (as per the instructions). It is right now giving off a nice thin smoke with the Pitmaster pellets--which smell really good.

The butt is a little over 6lbs and sitting since last night in a rub of salt, black pepper, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and brown sugar. It will be served up with cooked red cabbage and some homemade challah bread (which will hit the breadmaker around 3 or so). I may cook up some of the bacon I dry cured a week or so ago for some fat for the cabbage--I'll get some pics of that since I never posted a follow up after I had questions about the color.

So a QView will be coming later on after we strap on the feed bags and gorge ourselves.

Update:

Ok, it didn't turn out the way I'd hoped with the awesomeness of the first butt I smoked. By 9pm, it was at 190F. I ended up taking it out and foiling it because my parents had been at the hospital all day with my grandmother and they needed to eat. And yes, a few degrees makes all the difference in the world. The pork was a bit dry in the outer inch or two and the tissues weren't melted so the pulling was a little tough. The bark though was very nice. My parents still liked the pork (maybe I'm being too critical, but I do see the difference in 190 and 200F). The cabbage also didn't turn out the way I'd liked but I was trying a different recipe. It all still looks pretty though!

3c2aa08d_pork21.jpg

8dbcc2e1_pork22.jpg

dedad98c_pork23.jpg

And while all of that was going on, one of my Marmorkrebs hatched some kids!

14a2caa5_bluebabies.jpg

Last edited:
Updated Qview!

Let me get my glasses....brb 
biggrin.gif
 ........I don't see anything.

Ooops.... it would help if I'd scroll up the page! I'm tired 
biggrin.gif
 I don't know, looks pretty good to me! I'm sorry to hear about your G-ma....wish her a speedy recovery!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky