Vertical Gas Smoker.....what to do!?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You guys can start out on high to get the smoker hot quickly then turn the knob down to low and let it settle there.

But you shod be able to start out on low and get to 225 pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: jeff hynes
If your wood is catching on fire then it's to close to the burner or you are putting it in the smoker too soon or you chunks are too small. When I use chunks (2"-3") they go on the cast iron griddle shown in the photo below that has the tube on it. Honestly I haven't used chunks for several years. The smoke tubes work too good.

As for the vents, top vent wide open both lower vents are typically closed but they do not close all the way. Propane smokers need oxygen and the vents are designed goes to not fully close to prevent the rig from this thing into a bomb. If your vents do code all the way they have been modified and you should not close them all the way. With a needle valve installed you control fuel flow with the valve. Tank wide open smoker wide open. If your needle valve is working you should be able to control the flow from none to as high as you want.

0827efa5bde0c8f50c86a922a44170b1.jpg

e170611f38471455b917034c09ad939d.jpg

37929b3e2d3d5041713e6086d607d7ed.jpg

Fully closed side vent

d4b30660806132986dc535db46aed9c9.jpg

Fully open side vent

Smoke away!!!

It had only caught fire once when I tried to turn the heat on high to get to temp quicker. I just turn the dial to medium and it works perfect. I agree with your vent setup (not that that makes a darn bit of difference, lol) that is how mine is set up as well. Top wife open, sides as closed as I can get

Last edited:
Cover your wood pan with heavy duty foil, wrap it down tight and poke a hole in it with a pencil. That will stop the wood from going to flame.

I think i was afraid to get too high.....i know now it is better to jack up the gas flow and heat and then bring back down. 

Did another 2 pork butts this weekend (and some awesome smoked mac-n-cheese). I was much more confident jacking my heat up quickly and backing it down to 225. No problems maintaining temps. I was even able to get some sleep!

The one thing i found is that the stall is ridiculous. I planned 17 hours for my two 7.5lb butts to cook....i passed that and eventually pulled them at 197 and finished in the oven. They were great but i was losing my mind as this is the 2nd cook where it has taken considerably longer than 2 hr/lb. The only thing i can think is that the water is slowing things down due to evaporative cooling. I have been using sand in my water pan and putting water in an aluminium pan as well...i am laying off the water next cook. 

Things i think i have learned:

Crank the heat to get it at temp and then dial back. 

Add wood after the heat is set.

Water slows down the cooking a lot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky