vent position +airflow/smoke question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
As the title suggests I have a question about the flow of air/smoke in relation to the vent.
On the smoker I am converting from an old oven I am using the oven vents that were originally on the oven. The broiler box on the left is fine but the one on the right side is off to the right of the oven.
Will that work fine for all my smoke flow needs?
I thought I had read the hot plate and smoke had to be directly under wherever it vents out but since this vent is off to the side I'm hoping that it doesn't matter or there is a simple fix to it.

Kind of blurry but this is the front. Vent is the one on the right side.

and a view from the top

Thanks in advance for any advice

I've never read about the hot plate vent orientation needing to be in a direct line. To my mind that would create an absolute chimney effect wherein the heat travels straight up, whereas, if they are offset to each other (as in your case), you would get some varying air flow and reduced cold spots.

Thanks for clarifying. Wanted to be sure before I proceeded and then ruined the whole project. Now that I know it isn't an issue I can get back to it.
Thanks again.

keep us posted on the build as air flow goes it varies alot with ambient conditions so be sure to post pics as you go

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky