Vent help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fullsmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 1, 2016
Se iowa
smoker is holding to much heat I can set pid at 225 and it will get up to 280 I have one 3" vent and it's all the way open I tried moving cabinet temp prob close to element but didn't matter it shows its shut off when temp is 225. Do I need another 3" vent ?

I don't know about your smoker, but if my MES goes to 280° when set at 225°, it is coasting without the help of the element.

In that case, the temp in the smoker should get back down to 225° before the element comes back on.

Bear

It will kick on and when it gets back to 225 it shuts off but yes temp will go back to 280

Where are you getting the 280° ?

If you want your meat to be in 225°, the sensor that starts & stops the element should be where the meat is.

If the meat is in the middle of the smoker, the sensor should be within a few inches of the meat. Not too close, or it will read the cold meat.

But I'm guessing you are getting the 280° near the top, and the sensor is down low.

Bear

Could it be the difference between the thermometer attached to your PID and the thermometer you are measuring it with? It sounds as if it is not calibrated with the heating element in your unit.

I have a Auber wad 1500gph and a 1500 watt element and the cabinet prob is in middle of smoker and it's the pid that's reads the cabinet is 280 but it's set on 225

Yes plug and play how do I run auto tune
Seems you and Keith are playing an online game of phone tag.

You might want to send him a PM, so he'll get it next time he logs on.

It sounds like he knows what your problem is.

Bear

icon14.gif
icon14.gif

yea.. I was reading the quick tips on this unit and it says it comes from the factory set for the "ramp mode" ... so I think he needs to go in and set it for steady temp mode (one temp) ... and then read directions on how to do an auto tune... I don't have this particular unit... I built my controller but it is an Auber with ramp feature... when I want one steady temp I just set step 1 at desired temp for 9999 minutes... then step 2 is set at same temp....

Thanks for everyone's help I found the proble pid was not shutting off when light would show off it still was heating element sent it back to be fixed

Hope so ! I wasn't to happy with there warranty I had to pay shipping on it don't understand that only had it for 3 weeks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky