Venison Summer Sausage Put on Hold..CRAP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walking dude

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 5, 2007
Des Moines, IOWA
well.......i JUST was finishing up my second grind.........and my NEW letric meat grinder took a dump...........

So no stuffing.............

can i freeze the meat, till i figure out what i do next?

TIA

Shouln't be a problem, just ground deer now.
Didn't know ya got a grinder, what did ya get?

i dont think u have prob freezin it. too bad bout the grinder. just a thought mebe you could mix in seasonings and leave it to cure a couple days while rounding up a stuffer...

Freeze is no problem. I have done this several times. I like to add the seasonings even if I have not added the fat.

geob

Your meat grinder must be powered by the same hamster that powers your computer. I have been telling you to get a new wheel for that rodent and feed him once in a while...LOL
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

i was getting ready to stuff it...........last grind......mix in the ECA, and stuff........was going to use the grinder to stuff.....without the knife....and the special spacer..........but now.....................

you my friend have the worst luck-season it hand mix and freeze-when ready to stuff might have to add a little water-will be all good.

prob not what you intended but i have heard of people making loaves outta the sausage and smokin it kinda like a fatty. i wud find a stuffer to borrow but an option.

welcome to MY world bob

thankx erain..........plan on it........but...........LOLOLOL, ......see above......

most sausage only need to be ground once but if you need to you can wrap it although ground meat will freezer burn more quickly unless it is wrapped in plastic then paper. Do not add cure before you freeze it seasoning is ok.

Here's what the USDA sez about thawing and re-freezing meats. Read down to close to the bottom of the article.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...ency/index.asp

Basically, if the meat is frozen, thaw in a refrigerator to control temp.

If you are going to freeze, thaw, and then stuff, and then re-freeze, just make sure the meats stay at 40F or below.

You should have no problem.

-=- Jerry -=-

okay folks, here's the skinny.............

the venison/pork was ground one.......a large grind.......i had to add 1 pound fatback to the mix.........i forgot to fine grind the fat back first........cure/seasonings was added..............

the fat back was in too large of chunks for my taste........so i reground fine.........looks MUCH better.........the cure is ALREADY ADDED........i was then going to add the ECA next.......but didn't......cause i was going to use my grinder as my stuffer.......WITHOUT the knives and grinding plates......just a spacer.........but since the grinder took a dump.......its now in the lug, in the fridge........haven't frozen it yet.........

Now DJDeb......HANDstuffed her turkey bologna......tho it was a 4 inch casing.......i believe, with help of a couple more hands.....i can do as she did........use a cup that will fit just inside the casing, and fill the casings by hand........its just 9 lbs/3 casings.......i need to get this done, like RIGHT NOW.........they are a gift to my mom's 75th birthday.......so will have to give this method a shot..........

will let you know how it goes......this experiement/mad scientist/mess happens this weekend..........stay tuned for further developments

Deud...how about cutting a hole in the corner of a large zip lock bag....insert your stuffing tube from the inside.
Fill the bag with the sausage and squeeze the bag, filling your casings?
edited to add...not sure what kind of tubes you have, you would need a way to secure the tube in place.
Just an idea.

Good luck with it and take pictures for us.
biggrin.gif

thats a thought curley girl...........these are the casings that some in the highmountain summer sausage kit..........

its also why i have to wait till this weekend.......need 2 more hands to hold the casing............then smoke

Hiya WD...sounds like you've got your hands full with this one (pun intended
biggrin.gif
)
As you know, I've been messing around a little with making summer sausage, too. I don't have a stuffer, so I did it by hand. The kit I bought came with 2 1/2" x 20" fibrous casings...(the mahogany colored ones). I soaked the casings for 30 minutes as directed and stuffed them by making meatball-size bits to drop into the casing....then packing them together from the outside of the casing with my thumbs, trying to get any air out. They turned out pretty good...although they had some "lines" where I didn't get them packed right. Just make sure if you try this to keep your hands wet and rinsed clean....that'll make a big difference in how easy they are to stuff....and any extra water isn't gonna hurt the meat any.

Hope this helps,
Eric

P.S. It took about 10 min. per casing, so you may want to divide the mixture and keep the rest in the fridge while you work on one....
wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky