venison sausage - which wood?

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by gkainz, Jan 7, 2007.

1. I've pretty much always used apple wood chips for smoking venison sausage. My kids bought a couple of bags of wood chips for me to try - which do you think I should try first? The Apple, Cherry or Maple?
    Greg

2. salmonclubber

salmonclubber Master of the Pit OTBS Member

hello gkainz

i use cherry mostly for poultry and fish and i use apple for bacon poultry and i have not used maple but i would try it for the sausage or i would try the apple i mainly use hickory on all my sausage i like it best just use what ever you like
    salmonclubber

3. pigcicles

pigcicles Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Howdy gkainz. Everyone uses hickory, cherry is good on lighter meats, you already use a lot of apple. I think if I were wanting to try something new, I'd go with the maple.

Just my opinion

Keep Smokin

4. Thanks, guys. It's a sort-of breakfast blend of sausage. Sort of, because I took an old standby family recipe and threw a few more spices into the mix, like Monterey Steak Spice instead of just black cracked pepper, a little red pepper flake and some bbq rub. The meat is 30% venison, 20% elk and 50% pork.

I took the familiar way out and grabbed the apple, but maple is next on the list to try. Right now I'm trying to smoke the sausage in a freakin' blizzard, as the winds kicked up and is swirling snow all over the yard. I'm having a heck of a time keeping the temps regulated - guess I'm going to start draping tarps up for wind blocks ...

Greg

5. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

For breakfast sausage I would have gone with the apple too. Good choice

6. goat

goat Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I use oak. [​IMG]