Venison Ring Bologna

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by nepas, Nov 5, 2014.

1. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Got some venison a couple weeks ago. Done a weeks worth of bleed out and now ready for some fat cut in and some mix.

Made 5 lbs of ring bologna. Into the fridge overnight.

Hanging in the smoker this morning. No heat or smoke for at least 1.5 hours. Dont put cold meat in a hot smoker.

2.5" Non edible collagen rounds.

2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That is GREAT advice.... so many folks skip that step.....

3. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Taking good color now.

4. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Lookin great

5. reinhard

reinhard Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Love it!!!! What size casings did you use for those?  I take it that they are fibrous casings or edible collagen?  Thanks Reinhard

6. nepas

2.5" non edible collagen rounds

7. nepas

Getting color.

8. woodcutter

woodcutter Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I can taste those from here. Your Amish ring bologna recipe is a staple at my house but I've been stuffing them in 4" casings for sandwiches. 

[​IMG]

9. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nepas that looks great 

DS

10. nepas

Inverted the rounds for better heat on the tie ends.

Finally done. Cooling at room temp.

11. reinhard

reinhard Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Thanks Nepas,  just a great job!!!  Really appreciate your work on the rings.  Reinhard

12. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looking good!

Looks like the stuff I ate many years ago as a kid?  Seems that stores don't carry the plain old "ring balogna" these days.  At least not in my area?

My mom worked in the family business.  Some ring bolgona in the cast iron skillet was a quick meal for her to fix after work.

Good luck and good smoking.

13. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Honestly, I think you are getting better with age... and your sausage are also....

14. nepas

Thanks y'all I had to cut one open to see and taste.

Easy casing peel.

Looks good. The grind on the meat was a med plate.

Taste is right there with just a hint of twang from the acid (un flavored vit c powder)

Time to vac seal.

15. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That looks great.

16. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks great Rick. I'll have to try it.... I should be getting plenty of deer here soon

17. Looks GREAT!

Happy smoken.

David

18. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

nicely done, as always......was just talking Amish bologna yesterday with a pal.....another on the 'to-do' list....Willie

19. brooksy

brooksy Master of the Pit

Let's clarify this don't put cold meat in a hot smoker quote. I'm guessing you're meaning when making sausage that is a rule? I'm new to the sausage making arena so want to make sure I'm doing it the best way possible. I always put my ribs,butts,chuckies and chicken or whatever else I'm smoking straight from fridge to smoker. Just want to clarify for myself and any other newbie to sausage making and smoking in general

20. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great!! Nice job. 

DS