Venison,Cheese and jalepeno summer sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by bamafan, Oct 2, 2014.

1. bamafan

bamafan Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Been MIA for a while been working away from home. Time to clean out the freezer so decided to make some summer sausage from my daughters deer from last year. Used Excalibur premix for this batch. Turned out really well last time. Sorry for the crappy pictures!

20 pounds of venison, jalapenosps, and cheese.

5 pounds of fresh ground pork

Mixed up and ready to go. 5 pounds of cheese and 3 jars of diced jalapenos.

Ready for stuffing. 3 pound chubs

Ready for the smoker tomorrow. 100% chance of rain,. May have to wait til Saturday

Can see the peppers thru the casings. I sure hope it turns out ok.

Pictures from the smoker to follow hopefully tomorrow.. Thanks for looking. RTR!

2. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice Job Tim.

3. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That's a nice pile of sausage!!!

4. bamafan

Been working out close to your neck of the woods Brian. Point Mugu NAS. about an hour and a half north of LA. Loved the weather but was ready to come home!

5. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow. Looking forward to the cook.

6. bamafan

It was my daughters first deer and Jerry was gracious enough to let her hunt at his place. She is was 15. Now she thinks she wants to archery hunt. [​IMG] Not quite the same up in a tree than a nice shooting house!

7. reinhard

reinhard Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Got a great start.  Everything looks fantastic!!  Reinhard

8. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yes, all looks real good...plenty of Japs seems like. Is that hi temp cheese?? and if so how do you like it? I've heard mixed reviews on price vs quality vs not worth it and am curious for my own future use......Willie

9. bamafan

Chef this is the first time I've tried it on my on so will see how it turns out. I know there was some summer sausage made at the North West Florida gathering a couple of years back that had the high temp cheese and it was good. The last time I did some snack sticks with cheese I just diced up a block. Didn't melt down but my sausage smoker only goes to 180.

10. It should be good.[​IMG]

Happy smoken.

David

11. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

As I always say " A full smoker is a happy smoker" and yours looks is going to be happy, happy happy LOL Great job. I will be watching this one closely 

DS

12. bamafan

Rain is done and in she goes. 2 amazing smokers filled with hickory and pecan. Started it at 100 degrees for an hour with no smoke. Pid controller should bump 10 degrees every hour until it gets to 180 and then hold it there. will pull it at 155. Should be about a 12 pack from now :biggrin:

13. reinhard

I love it when sticks of summer [or anything] is hanging in the smoker!!!!  Should be some great stuff.  Reinhard

14. bamafan

Finally finished at 11pm last night. Chilled and put in the fridge til morning. Here it is finished. Thanks for looking

d.

15. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks very good.......

16. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Cheese and Japs make the world go round..............SS looks great tim

17. bamafan

Thanks Joe! Finally broke down and ordered me a maverick so I can be even lazier! Watch the temps from my recliner

18. reinhard

Each slice will be very tasty.  Looks great!!!  Reinhard

19. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

OK....well, it looks real fine in there and distributed well....nice job all around.....Willie

20. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Nice looking summer sausage, a few slices and a few beers! Life is good !