Vegetarian BBQ solution

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Veggie Sandwich
These are great and good for you.

2 tablespoons of butter
1 yellow bell pepper cut into short thin strips
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 lb sliced portobello mushrooms
1 loaf of cheesy Italian bread
4 large romaine lettuce leaves
1 medium tomato sliced thin
1 red onion sliced thin
provolone cheese
1 ripe avocado sliced thin
mustard, mayo, or horseradish sauce

Melt butter over medium heat in large skillet, cook bell peppers 4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic, until peppers are tender and liquid from mushrooms evaporates (6 minutes). Remove mushrooms and peppers from pan. Dip bread into pan to soak up left over garlic and butter. .Layer lettuce, tomato, and onion over bottom half of loaf. Top with mushroom mixture, cheese and avocado and your favorite spread.You may subsitute the Avacodo with fried Eggplant or fried Squash/ Zuchini and it's just as good.

Veggie Sandwich
These are great and good for you.

2 tablespoons of butter
1 yellow bell pepper cut into short thin strips
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 lb sliced portobello mushrooms
1 loaf of cheesy Italian bread
4 large romaine lettuce leaves
1 medium tomato sliced thin
1 red onion sliced thin
provolone cheese
1 ripe avocado sliced thin
mustard, mayo, or horseradish sauce

Melt butter over medium heat in large skillet, cook bell peppers 4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic, until peppers are tender and liquid from mushrooms evaporates (6 minutes). Remove mushrooms and peppers from pan. Dip bread into pan to soak up left over garlic and butter. .Layer lettuce, tomato, and onion over bottom half of loaf. Top with mushroom mixture, cheese and avocado and your favorite spread.You may subsitute the Avacodo with fried Eggplant or fried Squash/ Zuchini and it's just as good.

Portabella Burgers
Tired of the same old burgers? Portabellas can ,in my eyes replace Beef all together. This is a great summer time recipe and is really easy.

Portabella Caps
Butter

Wipe with a damp cloth and clean out all the black stuff inside of the caps. I prefer to keep the black in mine. But that's just me. Brush with a little butter. Fire up the grill. Now these won't take long so keep an eye on them. Leave them on until you feel they are done to your liking. I like mine with a little bite left. Pull them off and you are ready to go. Just put them on buns. Below is a list of things I have eaten on them. And they are great.

Sliced Cheese melted in the cap
Blue Cheese and shaved ham for a Black and Bleu (Not Veggie though)
Swiss and turkey (Turkey is not veggie)
Tomato
Lettuce
Onion ,Grill these with the the caps then put inside with some cheese and put back on the grill. Yum!!
Feta and sun dried tomato
Any condiment you put on a burger, Mustard Mayo, You get it
Peppers
Serve with whatever you have Burgers with. Of Course I like to eat them like a steak. 
Grill the caps with the inside down first and when you flip them over fill them with your goddies and finish off. You can also soak them in Italian Dressing for an hour or so before putting on the grill for a little added seasoning  

Portabella BBQ

10-12 Portabella Mushrooms

Your favorite BBQ Sauce

1 onion Sliced in quarters 

2 Celery ribs diced

Some EVOO

Rub the shrooms and onion with EVOO and smoke on the smoker / Grill long enough to get some smoke , but not completely done. Dice the onion ,celery fine and cut the shrooms in long strips. Have your favorite BBQ sauce already heated in a crock pot. Add everything in and cook on high for 3-4 hours. Try and keep the shrooms a little firm and this makes a good BBQ. Serve on buns with pickles and cole slaw.

Those big mushrooms are supposed to be pretty good. Don't remember the name, but on the grill the wife says they have an almost meaty texture.
You are talking about the fabulous Portabello mushroom - makes a great "burger" with some cheese and onions and the chopped stems - not cheap but really worth the effort and $$
So when you're making the Portabello burgers with all the fixings (cheese, onions, etc.) do you add mushrooms?  lol

But seriously... those portabello mushroom are really tasty. As far as a meat substitute ... portabello mushroom or egg plant are the things that come to mind.

Brad

PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif

I am office going girl and I spent lots of my time in the office. In the evening I feel very tired and I find very hard to make dinner. Please suggest me vegetarian bbq recipes that are simple with minimum time of preparation.

As for an idea on the bbq.  Costco sells a black bean burger patty that is very tasty.  Smoked or grilled with onions and a slab of ripe (pardon the pun) Beefsteak tomato and we are in business.  Drizzle EVOO and Balsamic vinegar and Crushed Black Pepper....hunger gone.

Good luck.

As a side note I have a friend that is Eskimo and vegetarian...seal blubber sent her over the edge i guess.
laugh1.gif

salmon, salmon burgers, crab cakes come to mind. It's hard to please them sometimes. I was head cook at a Natural Foods joint for 2 years and the last straw was dealing with vegans. One hippy told me she wouldn't eat honey 'because bees have a face'....WTF. They also have something called Tempeh, I think/barely remember. Pressed soy beans in like 12x12 sheets that can be marinated and grilled.

salmon, salmon burgers, crab cakes come to mind. It's hard to please them sometimes. I was head cook at a Natural Foods joint for 2 years and the last straw was dealing with vegans. One hippy told me she wouldn't eat honey 'because bees have a face'....WTF. They also have something called Tempeh, I think/barely remember. Pressed soy beans in like 12x12 sheets that can be marinated and grilled.
Crap....just noticed the start date of this thread....got bumped up by a newbie (no offense)

A good percentage of vegetarians eat fish, but that's not a commercial solution since you can't tell in advance what kind of vegetarian you're dealing with. Tofu does present some options because it takes on the flavors of marinades and smoke pretty well. You could brine and rub a block of it, lmao.

Seriously though, my daughter is a vegetarian and she is perfectly content eating the sides that I make and she does, thankfully, eat fish. She calls tofu one of those "necessary evils" of being vegetarian. No one really likes it but it's protein...

I think the best solution is a bean and grain salad of some sort. It makes a complete protein and you can serve it to non-vegetarians as well. One of my favorites is cannellini beans and wild rice with garlic and fresh sage. Toss with a bit of EVOO, good salt and pepper, and a dash of white wine vinegar. There is never any left over.

If you have vegetarians in Ga, send them to CA.

I wouldn't like that much, but I am used to dealing with those idiots anyway.  God help us all for the idiots in the world.

Good luck and good smoking.

Easy solution,

I am considered the ahole of the family . i will invite you over for steaks, ribs, chicken ,pig or seafood .Whatever i am smoking / grilling / cooking.

No i won't cook hot dogs or burgers or tofu or veggie burgers just because you are your kids are picky eaters.

I will tell you what's on the menu and if you don't want it, STAY YOUR BUTT AT HOME!!!!

I married a lady that eats and cooks like i do. we raised our son the same way. Used to have a friend that let her kids dictate what they ate. Both kids were raised on mac an cheese and hot dogs. we quit inviting them over when we got tired of hearing her kids  whine and her gripe because i wouldn't cook for her 2 brats.

The only 2 folks that i would cook special items for (My parents) are both passed on.

If you want to bring something that you want to eat ,already cooked be my guest.

i will gladly let you use the microwave to heat it up or let you use the grill after i am finished.

If i invite you over to eat and you have a food allergie ,It is your responsibility to let me know and i will let you know if i can acomadate you .

Don't wait till you show up and start telling me ,i can't eat this and that.. I DON"T CARE!!!

We are considered great host and are very friendly people , But, i  believe in the saying my mom had . There's food on the table , eat it or go hungry!

Off my soap box now...

My wife whom is a vegetarian asked me to make this for her and it really does taste pretty good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky