Vegetarian BBQ solution

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
this was definitely the most entertaining list of responses..Thanks for the help..I'm thinking that either the portabellas or the eggplant wins! 
My family (as an appetizer only!) will make a stuffin outta cream cheese, a little tony c's and cavenders, and pack the tops of those portabellos with it.  then we dust a little more Cs and Cavenders on top and smoke away!  The are great as is, i bet they'd be good on a bun too!

Actually, you can see some of them in the bottom left hand corner of my profile picture. next to the yardbirds.

Last edited:
Well first you have to field dress the vegetarian, then seperate out the various chunks you want to BBQ. I suggest a good flavorfull rub the night before because they can be a littel gamey unless you have manged to find one that is grain finished. Smoke with a mixture of apple wood and hickory, and don't forget to mop regullarly since they are obviously on the lean side being vegetarian and all.

Serve with a side of fava beans, and some chianti!
eek.gif

(.... oh! Is that not what you meant by Vegetarian BBQ Solution?)
biggrin.gif

cool.gif

Dutch I'm thinking that the vegetarian ribs don't they call them the McRib. Now the tofurkey is too funny thereRob. Now for the real food I would go with the portabella burger or the eggplant does sound really good but maybe rolling them with something good is also a really good choice too.

I use soy in conjunction with other ingredients for frankfurters, but the soy I have is not the Textured, it's finer milled like a very fine powder.   I am interested in getting some for a meat substitute for such things as chili; where do you obtain this coarser type?

I like to play around with the people in our Family that are Vegans
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif
, but they deserve good food too
icon_rolleyes.gif

So when they come over I do local in season veggies and fruit.
icon_idea.gif
 Summer squash is great smoked, then you have the Corn,Eggplant,Asparagas,leafy Mustard or Turnup Greens all taste great smoked.Then I go to the fruit for dessert.Smoked Peaches are to die for,and fresh Pineapple is nice.Most the time I don't glase them with sugar or anything, just a bowl of vanilla Yogurt with some honey to did in.They have a good time,but us Carnivores are doin' the Caveman thingy
points.gif

Be nice to the Vegans and ,

I really got the grilling bug when I was a vegetarian back in college, and it taught me alot.

The best tool in the world for the vegetarian grill is one of those BBQ woks/ grilling pans.

Fallafel (Chick Pea patties) can be done on foil with indirect heat.

In the grill pan, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, green peppers, crook neck squash and asparagus are wonderful to grill, just try to keep everything uniform in size. 

Apple slices take the taste of apple wood and cider smoke VERY well, and are great if dusted in brown sugar.

Pre-cooked brown rice with rasins, chopped pine nuts and minced onion / garlic make a great stuffing for bell peppers, if slow cooking. If you want to really show off, use Quinoa or polenta instead and stuff it inside a winter squash, like acorn (smoke for 2-3 hours at 200-250), you will have to keep adding vegitable broth though, since the squash soaks up so much liquid. Add a few drops of bourbon now and again for a distinct and intricate flavor.

Using a pyrex or cast iron pan for a vegetarian black bean chili-queso never failed to impress the carnivores, but can be hell to clean up if overheated.

Portebello mushrooms marinated in basalmic italian dressing or BBQ sauce are great too, especially topped with provelone of smoked gouda. Make sure to add a touch of oil or cooking spray to your grill, as they stick pretty bad if you don't.

Oh god, and I almost forgot because they are so out of season, but grilled or smoked, asparagus is out of this world! Just soak in olive oil for an hour or so, then season with salt/pepper/garlic and grill or smoke until tender. You can't go wrong!

Some great responses for sure, but here's my .02, what about a smoked vegetarian lasagna, might be good, I'd have to add some meat for myself, but to each his own.

I have a number of vegetarian recipes in my recipe data base.  None of them are using a smoker, although some can use a grill.   There are many others that would be good to serve, and would be appreciated.  Here come three that I picked out for you to consider.  As with any recipe, read it, adapt it to suit yourself.

MMMMM

Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Bean Loaf/Bean Burger
 Categories: Vegetarian, Burger
      Yield: 1 servings

1 c  Regular Oat meal; dry
    3/4 c  Water
      1 lb Can of beans, drained*
      1 c  Carrot; chopped
    1/2 c  Onion; finely chopped
    1/4 c  Green pepper; finely chopped
    1/8 c  Bran
    1/4 c  Wheat germ
    1/3 c  Dry potato buds of flakes
      1    Egg
    1/8 ts Garlic powder
    1/8 ts Pepper
    1/4 ts Orenago
    1/4 ts Basil
    1/4 ts Thyme (or Rosemary)
    1/4 ts Ground sage
      4 ds Taabasco; to taste

*Use butter beans, great northern, or white kidney beans. Fava Beans

Oats, beans and carrots make this deliciously spiced loaf a real high
  fiber meal.  Try it hot for dinner and have the leftovers in a
  sandwich the next day.

For Loaf:

Preheat oven to 375

Lightly oil a 5 x 8 loaf pan or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Place oats and water in small bowl and let stand 15 minutes.  Place
  beans in a large bowl, mash with a fork.  Add remaining ingredients.
  Mix well with fork making sure that spices are evenly distributed.
   Add oats to  bean mixture.  Mix well.  Press firmly into prepared
  pan.  Bake 1 hour and 15 mins to 1 hour 30 mins.

Invert onto serving plate.  Let stand 5 min before slicing.

Burgers:

Following mixing directions above.  Make into regular size burger
  patties (I use 1/4 burger press). Lightly oil non stick fry pan and
  fry over med heat for approx. 8 minutes per side or until browned and
  crisp.  Then place in preheated 300 degree oven for 20 to make sure
  inside of burger is set.

Made 7 good sized burgers.

Next time I will try V8 instead of water for a variation.
  Spices can be changed for cajun, indian, mexican
  Source:  Oat Cuisine, 1989 Bobbie Hinman, Prima Publishing Rocklin CA
  Adapted from Cooking Echo

MMMMM

MMMMM

Title: Many Bean Stew
 Categories: Stew, Beans, Vegetarian
      Yield: 6 servings

1    Onion; chopped
      1 tb Oil
      2    Cloves garlic; chopped
  1 1/2 ts Paprika
    1/2 c  Pinto beans
    1/2 c  Northern beans
    1/2 c  Kidney beans
    1/2 c  Red lentils
      5 c  Water
      1    Bay leaf
      1 ts Celery seed
      1 ts Dill weed
      2 ts Salt
    1/4 ts Black pepper
      1    Knorr Vegetarian Bol. Cube
      2 c  Potatoes; cubed   with
    1/2 c  Carrots; etc. your choice

Rinse beans, cover with water and bring to a boil, let boil two
  minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for one hour.
  Drain off that water.

Saute onion, garlic in oil along with paprika.

Put all ingredients in slow cooker, and simmer on high for about 4
  hours.

MMMMM

MMMMM

Title: Rae's Vegetarian Chili
 Categories: Vegetarian, Easy, Tested
      Yield: 13 Cups

4 ea Cloves garlic, minced
      1 c  Onions, finely chopped
    1/2 c  Red bell pepper fine chopped
    1/2 c  Celery, finely chopped
      3 tb Olive oil
     28 oz Can diced tomato with juice
      8 oz Can tomato sauce
      6 oz Can tomato paste
     12 oz Beer (Not Dark)
      4 tb Chili power or to taste
      1 tb Mustard powder
      1 ts Dried oregano
    1/2 ts Black pepper
  1 1/2 ts Ground cumin
    1/8 ts Hot pepper sauce
      2 ea 15 oz can black beans
           -NOT drained
      1 ea 15 oz can garbanzo beans
           -Drained/rinsed
      1 ea 15 oz can pinto beans
           -Drained/rinsed
      2 ea 15 oz cans kidney beans
           -NOT drained
      1 ea 15 oz can Cannelli beans
           -Drained/rinsed
      1 ea 15 oz can whole corn
           -NOT drained
MMMMM

FINISHING TOUCH
      3 tb Brown sugar
MMMMM

GARNISH
           Fresh cooked macaroni
           Finely diced onions
           Shredded Mexican blend
           OR
           Shredded cheddar cheese

In large sauce pot, saute garlic, onion, bell pepper and celery in oil
  until translucent.

Add canned diced tomatoes (undrained) tomato sauce, beer, tomato
  paste, and the spices, and hot sauce.

Stir in the various beans and bring mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat
  and let simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.

When you turn off the chili pot, stir in 3 teaspoons of brown sugar.
  Stir well so it dissolves.

Variation of Rae's Vegertarian Chili  at Allrecipes.com.

We made this for my son's move to new house. Everyone liked this chili
  ~ even the meat eaters.  Will make again.

MMMMM

Reactions: blackpacker
I'll second the portabello mushrooms... we chop up some little slivers of garlic and parmasean cheese and stick them into the gill side of the shroom, then marinade them in balsamic dressing, garlic and basil for an hour or two.  We usually grill them as a side dish but they would probably make a good main course for a vegetarian.... smoked gouda was a good suggestion above.

How about a loaded revolver, a nice big bottle of sleeping pills and fresh pack of razor blades? LOL

Like oil and water, BBQ and vegetarians are simply diametrically opposed concepts and one should never attempt to mix them.

Pre-cooked brown rice with rasins, chopped pine nuts and minced onion / garlic make a great stuffing for bell peppers, if slow cooking. If you want to really show off, use Quinoa or polenta instead and stuff it inside a winter squash, like acorn (smoke for 2-3 hours at 200-250), you will have to keep adding vegitable broth though, since the squash soaks up so much liquid. Add a few drops of bourbon now and again for a distinct and intricate flavor.

LOL... a friend of my moms was trying to be helpfull when my younger sister was born. So she offered to come over and cook dinner one night for me and my step dad while my mom was in the hospital. The friend was a vegetarian, which we were fine with..... till she plopped a bowl of plain Quinoa down in the middle of the table... heh-heh. We were trying to be nice and eat some, but Quinoa with no seasonings just cooked in water is kinda like trying to eat cous-cous mixed with that school paste.... but with less flavor. We tried to get the cat to eat it under the table.... no go.

I'd just take a 3x4 poster of a cow crappin on the grass and ask which they want..the cow or the grass.
That's freaking funny!!! 

Now, all joking aside. I'm a card carrying member of P.E.T.A. and I'm proud of it. Here at the organization of People Eating Tasty Animals we believe all critters deserve an equal opportunity to be served up in it's most tasty way. In most cases, that means spending some time in a smoker. However, grills... frying pans, ovens and the like are all good options too. I got to go... my neighbor asked me to watch his cat while he was out of town. Where did that little critter go? "Here kitty kitty kitty"

Well first you have to field dress the vegetarian, then seperate out the various chunks you want to BBQ. I suggest a good flavorfull rub the night before because they can be a littel gamey unless you have manged to find one that is grain finished. Smoke with a mixture of apple wood and hickory, and don't forget to mop regullarly since they are obviously on the lean side being vegetarian and all.

Serve with a side of fava beans, and some chianti!
eek.gif

(.... oh! Is that not what you meant by Vegetarian BBQ Solution?)
biggrin.gif
I like this solution. Too funny!!

I was going to have some co-workers over once and one them was one of them there fruity people. Oh... don't get your drawers in a ruffel... I'm not calling anyone names. I mean she was a fruit and veggie person. I didn't have any idea what it would be but I told her not to worry. I'd come up with some sort of veggie dish I could throw in the smoker. She said she wouldn't even eat veggie food that came from a smoker or any other cooking device/container that had EVER had meat in it. Good freaking night. Some people!!

You slipped and put crab in there. Crab is still meat, even the little ones someone might give you. LOL 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky