Unexpected butt smoke!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by mike5051, Dec 19, 2015.

1. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

So I went to the grocery to get ingredients for a beef stew tomorrow.  I'ts gonna be chilly for a couple of days, but it'll back in the upper 70's for Christmas!  Anyhoo, the grocer had a bin of pork butts, any size, for $5.00 with a $30.00 purchase.  I can't pass up a 5 buck butt, so I got a 10 pounder.  I've already got a ham and a turkey for Christmas cooking, so the butt has to happen tonight.  It will be rubbed and on the WSM for a midnight cook.  Never smoked with temps in the low 40's, wish me luck.

Mike

2. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Don't worry it will be fine smoking in the 40's is fine!

3. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Heck, in NOLA, it's liable to be 74 by morning! :biggrin:

You should be good, just keep an eye on the smoker. Remember to post pics when it done!

4. mike5051

Right on schedule,

On the smoker at midnight

5. mike5051

I wish! 37-45 degrees for the lows.  I ain't looking forward to maintaining the WSM overnight.  The temp seems to be holding well so far.

Mike

6. mike5051

Thanks b-one, 

It feels like I live in Flint right now!  [​IMG]

Mike

7. bryce

bryce Smoking Fanatic

Right on, that's awesome Mike. Exceptional price and love the enthusiasm. Looks like you're well on your way to another great smoke.

8. mike5051

Thanks Bryce!  Time will tell.

Mike

9. mike5051

Well there have been absolutely no issues with the WSM keeping temp!  I woke up at 8 AM to find smoker at 244, but at 178, and outdoor temp at 49.  I haven't touched the smoker since the butt went on.  Thanks for looking.

Mike

10. b-one

I bet there's a nice bark forming!

11. bryce

bryce Smoking Fanatic

Lucky you. You're going to be eating good today!

12. mike5051

Maybe?  I added charcoal to the WSM after 14 hrs.  The smoker dropped to 216 and the butt went from 198 to 196.  I left for a bit and didn't catch it before the temp drop.  I am approaching the 18 hr mark and the butt is at 196, and the smoker has been bumped to over 250 for the last four hours.  This butt is p*ssing me off!  I want to get it to 203 before taking it off the smoker, but I don't know if i've got the time or the energy.

Mike

13. b-one

Open all the vents!!

14. mike5051

I hear ya b-one!  They have been open for three hours now, smokers at 280, butt is back to 198.  I know I could take it off now and things would be fine, but I can't bring myself to do it.  So close and yet so far!  LOL

Mike

15. mike5051

It's not like I'm gonna starve, my original plan was beef stew!

16. smokeymose

smokeymose Master of the Pit

What are you going to do with that monster when it's done? Don't fall asleep! Remember we want pics..
    BTW that stew looks pretty good

17. bryce

bryce Smoking Fanatic

I've pulled them at 198. It's not the best but its dioable. If you can it's best to wait though being a 10lb'er.

Glad the WSM kicked some trail for you today. Nice, consistent temp.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  18. b-one

I remember having my parents over for my first butt,what that did not sound right! Anyways I said we would eat around 2 then 4 and when we finally ate around 9 they almost left hungry!

19. bryce

bryce Smoking Fanatic

Ha-ha I've done that several times!

Just 20 more minutes. Still looking at 20 minutes. We're close now. 15 minutes. OK it's done. Got to let it rest... 30 more minutes everyone!

20. mike5051

It got there, 19 hrs after putting it on the smoker.  Totally fell apart trying to get it out.  Resting in a cooler for a while and then PP heaven.  I will post Qview.  

Mike

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015