UDS Temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kandl

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
I noticed that having the "bbq temp" probe in the center of the UDS gives me a considerably higher temp reading vs having it closer to the side of the UDS.  This doesn't surprise me much I was wondering where everyone else like to place their ambient air temp or grate temp probes.  

I wonder how putting a small plate above the charcoal pan leaving a few inches of space all around it would effect the temps if that would equal it out more?  Thoughts? Suggestions?

I don't have a uds but I think a plate will help even your temps out some.  I always place my probe close to where the meat is.

I have thought about adding a diffuser plate to even out temps in the drum.

If you do add a plate drill holes in it so the juices still hit the fire to add flavor.

Quite a few have used pizza pans as diffusers. As far as probe placement I like mine as close to where I am cooking the meat as possible. I have a small piece of scrap wood that I have drilled a hole through to hold the probes so I can move it around where ever I want and not be limited to the grate clips that come with most probes.

Like the mini-WSM you could use a terra cotta planter tray too as a diffuser, or a tinfoil pan filled with sand.

Thanks for the ideas guys!  with my shelf brackets I can easily add a plate of some kind and see what it does without doing anything permanent. I might even have the terra cotta tray in the garage.  I'll have to rummage through my wifes garden stuff and see what she's got LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky