U.S. or Canadian Made Electric Smokers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Lisa,

SI relocated to Madison Michigan.  Hope that helps.  

Last edited:
The Big Chief is made in USA... although you will need to finish most things in the oven or bbq as it is a cold smoker. Great for jerky, cheese and fish.

I have done ribs in my Big Chief several times and finished on the bbq and they always turned out great.  Also did a turkey breast this past Thanksgiving and finished in the oven.

I use it for all my dry cured stuff now after my WSM purchase.

http://www.smokehouseproducts.com/product/big-chief-front-load-electric-smoker/

Last edited:
thanks again all...is the Old Smokey a cold smoker that requires finishing in the oven or bbq? not to keen on that idea lol

The Old Smokey isnot a cold smoker, I don' know if you could cold smoke using the existing controller. You might want to give them a call. Also it is not insulated.

Lisa,

Are you planning to cold smoke, meaning using a smoke generator and leaving the smoker's heat source turned off?  The old smokey has a 1250 watt element which is good but the problem I see with the Old Smokey is that I do not see an exhaust vent.  Also if you wanted to look at or do a temp probe test on a meat which is on the lower grill, you need to remove the lid and then the upper grill which will probably have meat on it.

I have two big chiefs which are dedicated for Salmon.  They come stock with a 450 watt element, non adjustable but I installed a 1100 watt adjustable element in each.  I have a Masterbuilt 2 door propane smoker for all my pork, beef and poultry needs.

If I was looking for a single smoker that can do about everything, I'd consider the MES40 generation 1.

Last edited:

Lisa,

Are you planning to cold smoke, meaning using a smoke generator and leaving the smoker's heat source turned off?  The old smokey has a 1250 watt element with no way to adjust it's temp. Thus sounds ok for pork, poultry, beef, etc.  but not fish.

I have two big chiefs which are dedicated for Salmon.  They come stock with a 450 watt element, non adjustable but I installed a 1100 watt adjustable element in each.

If I was looking for a single smoker that can do about everything, I'd consider the MES40 generation 1.
I want to be able to do beef, pork, poultry as well as salmon and trout.  Does that help?

Hi Lisa!

I see you already got a lot of good Info.

If you want my Opinion, the only American made Electric that meets my wants would be the Cook Shack, but that's a little out of my price range.

As for all the other Foreign made Smokers, the one I like the most is the one I've been using over 5 years now with great success, and without any problems. That would be the MES 40 Gen #1.

You can see many of the things it does, and how to use it by clicking below:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

I want to be able to do beef, pork, poultry as well as salmon and trout.  Does that help?
Lisa, I stand corrected about the Old Smokey heating element.  It does look adjustable so I edited my original post.  I also added more thoughts to my original post as well.

Craig

PS- I still think the MES 40 Gen1 would be the best.

Last edited:
Well after reading through the posts here and spending a couple hours watching youtube videos of the Smokin' it smoker, I think I have made a decision to go with the SI #2.  I really wanted to stick with something North American made but $700 for the Cookshack is out of my price range.  I plan to make a trip to the warehouse in MI to check them out and hopefully bring one home with me saving on shipping. I have a question regarding accessories....the jerky drier.  Is this really necessary?  I have made a lot of jerky over the years in both a dehydrator and smoker.  I have never used any special dryer in the smoker.  However I use a DRY RUB cure, no liquid at all.  All the accessories can really ad up, should I bother with this one? 

The jerky drier is a big help if making jerky.  These smokers are pretty much air tight and trap a lot of moisture and you want the moisture exhausted out.  Thus the drier.  But it is not necessary for all other smoking.  I won't even say it is necessary for jerky.  I guess it depends upon how thin you slice the meat and how much moisture you wring out of it before smoking. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky