U.S. or Canadian Made Electric Smokers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lisam

Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hello all, in the market for a new smoker.  Looking for a cabinet style. Will be used mainly for ribs, beef and fish. Having a very hard time deciding on one and am totally overwhelmed with all the posts on this forum..the more I read, the more confused I get LOL. Decided to try and narrow things down if possible?  Can anyone list the brands of smokers that are North American made?  I would really prefer to steer clear of products made in China. Thanks!

Well I was thinking about $500 but after poking around online, I am thinking a NA made smoker in that range may be a pipe dream??

I would like to stick with an electric, thanks

No prob, just thought I'd ask.... Well, to my knowledge & maybe someone else will jump in here... But I'd say it's probably between a Masterbuilt or a Bradley... Ya may also consider a pellet grill, it has an electric control ! Just tossin out ideas !

I have a Masterbuilt electric and love it, but it's made in China. I've heard great things about USA made Cookshack smokers, but they are pricey-$700 for their smallest model. That being said, when it's time for me to upgrade I will seriously consider Cookshack. A lot of money($900 for the one I want) but the more I get into smoking, the more I realize that quality equipment makes a lot of difference.

I recently saw a thread asking if folks with the small Masterbuilt wish they had gotten the larger one- most did. I'm about there now except I'm ready to move up a couple of levels. Of course, I have yet to discuss this with the finance manager! LOL. Good luck on your search, take your time and get what fits your needs, David.

Researched Smokin-it, company based in Ohio, but smokers made in china. But, it looks like a really high quality smoker and a lot of bang for your buck. Thanks for mentioning it. Good luck on your search Lisa-looks like made in America is hard to find these days, what a shame!

The only electric smoker made in the USA I am aware of is from CookShack.  The Smokin-it ( SI)and SmokinTex (ST) which are all stainless steel in/out and resemble the CookShack are imported.  SI relocated to Michigan and prices on their model 2 and 3 are scheduled to increase on 15 April 2015. I do not know by how much. 

CS offers refurb units with a full 'new' smoker warranty.  Also, if you go through PayPal, you can stretch the payments to 6 months with no interest, which may make it easier on the budget. My CS 066 Amerique has performed flawlessly, but was expensive.  The SI units are built solid, and are very dependable.  My brother has the SI3 and has been using it since 2012 with no problems. Shipping on them is expensive (it is explained on the SI site).

There is a company (R&V Works) that makes a propane smoker called the Cajun Express Smoker.  American made.  They have a 4 rib, 6 rib and 9 rib model.  The link below shows cooking times for various meats. Pretty impressive.  They are pricey, but I suppose the quick cooking time is a valid trade off for the cost.

http://media.basspro.com/pdf/cajun_smoker.pdf

Thanks Sarge, great info! It'll help when I'm ready to make the jump. I'm at the point in my life where I don't mind paying more for American as long as the quality is there. I hate that it's just so dam#ed hard to find!  And Lisa, when I say American, I mean U.S. and Canada-we are all on the same page here!

Last edited:
Lisa I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. Like yourself, I was looking for an American made product that wouldn't break the bank. I researched all of them and as sarge said, Cookshack is pretty much it and they're pricey. So I had to punt and just received my Smokin' It #2 model this week. American Company but made in China unfortunately. It appears to be very well made and was only $400. I also bought the cart to mount it on so I wouldn't have to stoop to handle my food. Broke it in yesterday with a batch of wings that came out perfect and ribs will be going in today. So far I love it. Yes, I'd love it more if it were actually made here but my finance manager would approve the extra funding. Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide on.

You cannot go wrong in choosing a Smokin-it electric smoker. Best bang for the buck.

Smokin it does look like a great deal! I would really love to buy American, but don't know if I can justify spending twice as much for it. Notice to all you metal works companies out there:There is a market for American made smokers!! We need more options!

Thank you everyone for your contributions!  I still have yet to make a decision but will be taking what you have all said into consideration! Hoping more people chime in!

The only electric smoker made in the USA I am aware of is from CookShack.  The Smokin-it ( SI)and SmokinTex (ST) which are all stainless steel in/out and resemble the CookShack are imported.  SI relocated to Michigan and prices on their model 2 and 3 are scheduled to increase on 15 April 2015. I do not know by how much. 

CS offers refurb units with a full 'new' smoker warranty.  Also, if you go through PayPal, you can stretch the payments to 6 months with no interest, which may make it easier on the budget. My CS 066 Amerique has performed flawlessly, but was expensive.  The SI units are built solid, and are very dependable.  My brother has the SI3 and has been using it since 2012 with no problems. Shipping on them is expensive (it is explained on the SI site).

There is a company (R&V Works) that makes a propane smoker called the Cajun Express Smoker.  American made.  They have a 4 rib, 6 rib and 9 rib model.  The link below shows cooking times for various meats. Pretty impressive.  They are pricey, but I suppose the quick cooking time is a valid trade off for the cost.

http://media.basspro.com/pdf/cajun_smoker.pdf
Thanks!  You mention shipping, is the only way to purchase a Smokin' it smoker is by having it shipped direct from the company or can you buy it at a store?  Where in MI are they located?  I live in Canada but only a stone's throw from Detroit.

Lisa I don't believe they sell them in stores but if you go to their website and email them the owner Steve will get back to you quickly and answer any questions you have.

Thanks!  You mention shipping, is the only way to purchase a Smokin' it smoker is by having it shipped direct from the company or can you buy it at a store?  Where in MI are they located?  I live in Canada but only a stone's throw from Detroit.
The #1and 2 are available on amazon, but no real cost savings.

Hi Lisa,

Let me ask you this......

Are you only looking at electric smokers?

Have you considered a Pellet Grill/Smoker?

There are a few that are made in USA or Canada

I own 14 grills and smokers, and 3 of them are Pellet Grills/Smokers

Todd

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky