Types of curing salts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cheapchalee

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Thailand
Guys and gals didn't know where else to put this.

I have been using Morton Tender Quick for years but I ran out for a bit and a friend sent me some Butchers Quick cure.  It's from a company called Weschenfielder.

I typically use 1 tablespoon per pound, however I usually cure for 4-7 days depending on thickness, pull it out and was it and smoke it.  When I use the stuff for the UK the meat turns out salty.  The salt from the UK also looks more "powdery".  I know MTQ and Prague #1 are about the same. 

I have contacted the company but no reply.

Thanks,

Chalee

"  I know MTQ and Prague #1 are about the same. "

They are not the same.Here is a chart 

Use as follows:

Cure per pound of ground meat/fat:

U.S. Measurements

Amount of Meat/Fat     Amount of Cure

Vol.     Wt.

1 lb.     1/4 tsp.     .05 oz.

2 lbs.     3/8 tsp.     .08 oz.

3 lbs.     1/2 tsp.     .10 oz.

4 lbs.     3/4 tsp.     .15 oz.

5 lbs.     1 tsp.     .20 oz.

10 lbs. 2 tsp.     .40 oz.

15 lbs. 1 Tbsp.     .55 oz.

20 lbs. 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.     .80 oz.

25 lbs. 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.     1.00 oz.

50 lbs. 3 Tbsp. + 1 1/4 tsp.     2.00 oz.

100 lbs. 1/4 C. + 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.     4.00 oz.

tsp. = teaspoon; Tbsp.= Tablespoon; C. = cup.

oz.= ounce

Although cure #1 has salt in the mix, when using it in sausage making additional salt needs to be added.

I am sure one of the guys who use TQ will be along

Richie

I went to the Butchers Quick Cure site and they say "the directions are in the package" and do not list the ingredients on their website....

May I suggest not using it until you know what's in it... Every manufacturer makes their cures differently...

I have found specialty cures, intended for commercial use, "generally" you use a 2% addition to the meat... that gives a salt content around 1.5 - 1.8% and sugar and nitrite etc. make up the difference .. BUT you should get the % of ingredients from the manufacturer.... I know Wade had some problems getting that info... the manufacturer does not want you to know what's in their stuff.... Here in the US, that is different... they have to tell you... The UK, that's a different story I guess....

"  I know MTQ and Prague #1 are about the same. "

They are not the same.Here is a chart 

Use as follows:

Cure per pound of ground meat/fat:

U.S. Measurements

Amount of Meat/Fat     Amount of Cure

Vol.     Wt.

1 lb.     1/4 tsp.     .05 oz.

2 lbs.     3/8 tsp.     .08 oz.

3 lbs.     1/2 tsp.     .10 oz.

4 lbs.     3/4 tsp.     .15 oz.

5 lbs.     1 tsp.     .20 oz.

10 lbs. 2 tsp.     .40 oz.

15 lbs. 1 Tbsp.     .55 oz.

20 lbs. 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.     .80 oz.

25 lbs. 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.     1.00 oz.

50 lbs. 3 Tbsp. + 1 1/4 tsp.     2.00 oz.

100 lbs. 1/4 C. + 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.     4.00 oz.

tsp. = teaspoon; Tbsp.= Tablespoon; C. = cup.

oz.= ounce

Although cure #1 has salt in the mix, when using it in sausage making additional salt needs to be added.

I am sure one of the guys who use TQ will be along

Richie
Richie

Thanks for the response, however that looks like it is for "ground" meat.

Chalee

I completely emptied the bag and no instruction.  Does anyone have the measurements?  I left a message on their website but no reply.

Chalee

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts

If you were asking about MTQ... the chart is for ground meat.... for whole muscle I think the amount is double... You should get a Morton's book if you continue to use MTQ...
May I suggest you switch to cure #1, from any supplier, for further meat curing...

Nothing wrong with TQ.

cfarmer..... may I suggest you read up on sodium nitrate and heart diseases ....

Does the sodium nitrate in processed meat increase my risk of heart disease?
Answers from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Sodium nitrate, a preservative that's used in some processed meats, such as bacon, jerky and luncheon meats, could increase your heart disease risk.
It's thought that sodium nitrate may damage your blood vessels, making your arteries more likely to harden and narrow, leading to heart disease. Nitrates may also affect the way your body uses sugar, making you more likely to develop diabetes.
And you already know that most processed meats are high in sodium and some are high in saturated fat, which can disrupt a heart-healthy diet.
If you eat meat, it's best to limit processed meat and instead choose lean, fresh meat and poultry, and keep serving sizes small. For greater heart health, consider going one step further and increasing the amount of seafood in your diet.

Sodium Nitrate
Cured meats are not the only sources of sodium nitrate. According to Meatsafety.org, it also occurs in some vegetables and converts into sodium nitrite whenever it comes into contact with your saliva. This conversion may also occur when sodium-containing vegetables are exposed to certain types of bacteria. According to cardiologist Dr. Martha Grogan, sodium nitrate can increase your risk of developing heart disease by damaging your blood vessels. Sodium nitrate may also raise your diabetes risk, says Grogan.

Sodium Nitrite
Sodium nitrite is currently used in the medical treatment of cyanide poisoning and has public health use as a curing agent. Indeed, according to Meatsafety.org, sodium nitrite works with sodium chloride, or salt, to inhibit the growth of Clostridium botulinum. Clostridium botulinum is an organism that can cause fatal food poisoning. sodium nitrite is also effective against Listeria monocytogenes, another disease-causing organism. According to the National Institutes of Health, sodium nitrite also shows promise in the treatment of high blood pressure, kidney failure, heart disease and organ damage

Your posts says it has good and bad points

If it was that bad why is it still on the market?

Maybe you are confusing the good points of sodium nitrite....

What is good about hardening of the arteries and diabetes ???

Back on topic please.

Am I off topic discussing food safety and the use of cures.... "Types of curing salts" is the topic of this thread...

Exactly what is your point "Back on topic please"..... You like TQ, keep using it.... there are new folks that are unaware of some of the dangers in curing...

Yes there is dangers in curing.

Why is it still on the market?

Seems people who use TQ swear by it and those who use Cure #1 swear by it. Personally I've used both have both but must admit I use #1 most of the time. Unless I'm doing belly bacon then it's Hi Mountain buckboard bacon cure
biggrin.gif

But have you tried the hi mountain buckboard bacon cure if not try it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky