Two Batches of Cheese*UPDATED 3rd BATCH*

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tlcase

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Conrad, IA
On the day after Thanksgiving, I let the MES cool down after doing my stuffed loins and did 4 blocks of cheese. When my foodsaver showed up on Thursday, I removed them from the makeshift "straw suck the air out of the bag" packaging and properly vac sealed them. Then today, I did six more blocks and a package of string cheese.

Here's last weeks load...these went around 3 1/2 hours

94612b21_DSC05694.jpg

dfb19f27_DSC05695.jpg

Some nice TBS today. I pulled the string cheese after 2 hours and the blocks after 2 1/2 as I cut these into thirds to make up some variety packs to take along to the various Christmases we have upcoming.

d87985a7_DSC05716.jpg

Both days were in the 40's and my MES never got above 78 degrees with no ice in the chamber. After vac sealing todays batch, this is what I have in the fridge..some extra sharp cheddar, shap cheddar, montery jack, colby jack, pepper jack, mozzerrela, and the string cheese. I can't wait for Friday to break some out and give it a try.

d351b2e3_DSC05719.jpg

Last edited:
Okay...so I caved. I opened a package with extra sharp cheddar and montery jack 4 days shy of the 2 week rest. I just wanted a little sample and it was killing me. Besides, the bag was big enough to reseal.  It. Was. AMAZING! I can see how big a hit this is going to be.....at work, at home, at upcoming family gatherings, Christmas parties. Therefore, I must do another, big-ass batch. I will be updating this thread with more smoked gold soon.

The cheese looks like it came out really nice. Did you cut it before or after smoking it?  I like to do mine before so the smoke is even throughout the individual blocks. Nice job 

This was your run of the mill Kraft block cheese that was onsale 2/$4. I cut the blocks before going on the smoker. The first run I cut each block in half. The second batch I cut into thirds.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I ran into my 2nd cousin the other day and he was telling me about his smoker...industrial two door fridge he built. He told me his father in law has another one of these fridges I could possibly have and he'll show me what to do to convert it. I'm jumping all over it if I can.

15027957_ScottsSmoker.jpg

Oh, and I almost forgot, I ran into my 2nd cousin the other day and he was telling me about his smoker...industrial two door fridge he built. He told me his father in law has another one of these fridges I could possibly have and he'll show me what to do to convert it. I'm jumping all over it if I can.

15027957_ScottsSmoker.jpg
I'm loving all of these cheese threads. I would jump all over that fridge if you get the chance. Looks like he could use  a bit of a better seal around the top of the doors. Great looking rig!

Well, I did another 8lbs of cheese tonight. I wanted to make up some more sampler packs to give away this Christmas. I also picked up some swiss, muenster, and havarti to try.

Ready to unwrap

f76f1dbb_DSC05723.jpg

Cut up and in the smoke. I used a piece of unwaxed unflavored dental floss to cut the blocks into fourths. It worked very well.

d181196f_DSC05724.jpg

Finished

6604b08f_DSC05725.jpg

And sealed up with the rest of what was in the fridge already.

570bd944_DSC05731.jpg

Busy man. Looks good. I did 4 lbs yesterday myself. Figured it was 15 outside so it was perfect for smoking.

icon_cool.gif

Man oh Man you folks have me wanting to run out to the store for some cheese. Your cheeses look awesome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky