Turkey sausage question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

badbob

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Spring, Texas
Hey everyone, I have a 19# turkey and plan to make sausage out of the entire bird. My question is, do I grind up the skin and fat with it or just the fat? Also, will the turkey fat be enough or do I need to add more? Thanks in advance! 

A lot of the answers are going to lie in the recipe. If you post that we can help guide thru it. Most of the chicken recipes I use for Chicken just use the fat and not the skin 

When ever I make either chicken or turkey sausage I do not use the fat or the skin but will add 1/3 the turkey/chicken weight (19 / 3 = 6.25    19 + 6.25 = 25.25) as pork which to me gives a smother flavour but if pork is a no go then I would use only the fat

Just my thoughts

I'd like to see the recipe also, Brican's idea of pork fat is best I think but might not be what you're looking for.

I'd like to see the recipe also, Brican's idea of pork fat is best I think but might not be what you're looking for.
Recipe would be fine to see, as for pork fat that is not the way I go; usually use pork shoulder -- butt or picnic as both have enough fat content thus keeping the sausage on the leaner side but still moist. To me it works better than strait pork fat, but again that's me

Sorry Robert I stand corrected, I was thinking pork but typed out fat. maybe I need some coffee.

I posted the recipe that I copied from "Buzzy" last night and a note popped up saying that it would be held for a while before being posted. I'll try again. 

Sorry Robert I stand corrected, I was thinking pork but typed out fat. maybe I need some coffee.
No problem Dan, when I saw the word fat it just jumped out so could not let it go tough someone else might have cought it. I'm keeping in the shadows as do not want to rock the boat there's too many people around here that know more than I do --- I'll join you for coffe

There is no reason not to use the skin...We jump through hoops to get crispy skin on Roast Turkey 'cause it taste good...Skin Tastes Good, so unless you are worried about fat content, Grind the Skin fine and use it. This recipe sounds good and is an example where skin is used...JJ

http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/turkey-sausage-recipe.html

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky