Tuna smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 11, 2015
Maryland Eastern Shore
My neighbor is yellow fin tuna fishing today off OC MD and plans on bring home about 4 or 5 lb  piece

. never smoked fish need help should I steak it out or cook it hold. How about internal temp?

Oh man I'm jealous!! Fresh tuna is one of my all time favorites.
I'd probably cut it at least in half lengthwise. A lot of times they will kinda just cut across the fish, so the hunk you end up with will contain both loin and belly. If this is the case, it's a good idea to separate the two parts as there is a blood line running between the two that doesn't taste very good. It's easy to spot. It'll be much darker than the rest. Just carve that part away.
Anyway, like I said I'd cut it into fairly large rectangles. Steaks are good, but really easy to overcook. I'd probably smoke at a low temp, say 200° just to get some smoke on it. I wouldn't want the internal temp to get over 110°. Then I'd sear it in a hot skillet or over very hot coals to an internal temp of 130°. Tuna is really best at medium rare. It doesn't need a brine or really any seasoning other than salt and pepper. The most I'd do is a short marinade in Italian dressing.
Once it's cooked, slice thin and enjoy!

When you get the tuna filleted you will have 4 loins. You can smoke those whole or steak the loins and smoke the pieces. If meant to be served hot as n for dinner I usually do the whole loin. If to be more like say smoked salmon I like to steak the loins. FYI smoked tuna belly is the best see if you can get those too. The bellies you smoke like salmon. Internal temp varies depending on how you like your tuna and weather it is to be eaten right away or later. 145 is the minimum for if you want to eat it later.

Hey Mdboatbum

Looks

like I will be smoking tuna my neighbor and gang caught 6 yellow fin 2 mai-mai and the first for any boat in OC this year a 661/2 lb wahoo.

Hope I don't mess it up.

You could also cut it into sashimi style blocks and do the sugar/salt brine and cold smoke for three hours or so. There are also good marinated in a teriyaki style brine and cold smoked as well.

As mentioned above grab all of the bellies because they are great smoked as well!

I don't care for smoked mahi; the ono (wahoo) is great smoked though...

Here's a pic of a 240 lb big eye we got a couple of days ago...

Man That's a nice looking Tuna.    Question  --------  Is Smoking Tuna legal in all states or just Colorado ???

Gary

Oh man I'm jealous!! Fresh tuna is one of my all time favorites.
I'd probably cut it at least in half lengthwise. A lot of times they will kinda just cut across the fish, so the hunk you end up with will contain both loin and belly. If this is the case, it's a good idea to separate the two parts as there is a blood line running between the two that doesn't taste very good. It's easy to spot. It'll be much darker than the rest. Just carve that part away.
Anyway, like I said I'd cut it into fairly large rectangles. Steaks are good, but really easy to overcook. I'd probably smoke at a low temp, say 200° just to get some smoke on it. I wouldn't want the internal temp to get over 110°. Then I'd sear it in a hot skillet or over very hot coals to an internal temp of 130°. Tuna is really best at medium rare. It doesn't need a brine or really any seasoning other than salt and pepper. The most I'd do is a short marinade in Italian dressing.
Once it's cooked, slice thin and enjoy!

I'm new here, so how long do you smoke it at 200* for?
Thanks!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky