Trying out a new method for Pork Shoulders:

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raulous bbq

Original poster
May 20, 2013
Chicago, IL
I have a huge BBQ event tomorrow.  So I decided to get a leg up on my cooking and smoke my pork shoulders tonight.  I have 17 lbs of shoulder, injected with a Cuban mojo, rubbed down with Bilbo's rub.  I was planning on doing a regular hot smoke, however I was struck with an idea, why not cold smoke the shoulder till it hits an internal 70 degrees.  Then hit it with a hot smoke till an internal of 200 degrees.  Thoughts, comments or concerns... Q view up shortly!

Equipment Being Used:

Cookin Cajun Smoker

AMNPS loaded with Maple and Cherry pellets

Polder Probe Thermometer

Smoke Daddy Thermometer

Last edited:
Experimenting is always welcome on this site, just beware of the danger zone. Make sure the butt doesn't take more than four hours to get from 40* to 140* F. Otherwise, let us know how it goes.
110.gif

It was getting a little too risky.. so at an internal temp of 60 degrees at the 3 hour mark I decided to just hot smoke it.  But it was worth the fun!  Thanks for responding.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky