tried something new yesterday and did not care for it! (ribs)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jerseydrew

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
normally i cook BB ribs at 240 for 5-5.5 hours with water in my smoker. so yesterday i decided that with all the wind i did not want to go through fuel like crazy so i decided not to add water to the smoker. so did everything else the same just did not add the water to my WSM. the ribs were overcooked (falling off the bone) and were just a tad on the dry side. 

How does water make u go through fuel like crzy?
Because water causes evaporative cooling...your fire is fighting against it trying to heat up.    It can be useful for people in hot climates to keep temps in check on those blistering days and help new smokers  manage their temps but it does nothing to help keep meat moist.    

Because water causes evaporative cooling...your fire is fighting against it trying to heat up.    It can be useful for people in hot climates to keep temps in check on those blistering days and help new smokers  manage their temps but it does nothing to help keep meat moist.    
I thought it was because it takes a lot of energy to convert water to steam.  Without water you aren't converting steam therefore use less fuel (vents are closed a LOT more).  ...but for whatever reason I know it works.  I use a LOT less charcoal for much longer cooks without water.

I thought it was because it takes a lot of energy to convert water to steam.  Without water you aren't converting steam therefore use less fuel (vents are closed a LOT more).  ...but for whatever reason I know it works.  I use a LOT less charcoal for much longer cooks without water.
Think of it this way....water boil at 212 and that moisture wants to dissipate the heat so it takes more heat to maintain higher temps.   It's kind of like running with a anchor weighing you down.   Someone won't see much fuel difference at low temps like 225 but you will at 275. 

Think of it this way....water boil at 212 and that moisture wants to dissipate the heat so it takes more heat to maintain higher temps.   It's kind of like running with a anchor weighing you down.   Someone won't see much fuel difference at low temps like 225 but you will at 275. 

I smell what you're steppin in. I may not understand the science but I understand the application.

I don't see a location in your profile, so I have no way to know about your climate.

Wind can be tricky.  In a cold climate it can rob your heat by cooling the pit.  In a warm climate the wind can fan your fire and make it act crazy.

Good luck and good smoking.

I don't see a location in your profile, so I have no way to know about your climate.

Wind can be tricky.  In a cold climate it can rob your heat by cooling the pit.  In a warm climate the wind can fan your fire and make it act crazy.

Good luck and good smoking.
ok now im confused again. What does wind have to do with the water?? :-/ Besides that its rly easy to block wind if it is bugging u

i guess it is possible they dried out a little due to the overcookedness. i will have to try again and be more mindful of when they are done. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky