To All You Sausage Stuffers .........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cajun_1

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 16, 2006
Idaho
My hat is off to those people that stuff their own sausage. That is some real work! For the past 3 days I have been working on a Hi Mountain German Sausage Kit.
http://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/pr...cat=251&page=1

http://himtnjerky.com/product/german_sausage.php

Maybe I jumped in more that I should have ... 30# (6# venison-24#pork). I have been grinding, mixing and today, finally stuffing. I have some burst casings, The uniforamatiy(?) is not consistent, but I have sausage. I got about 1/2 the mixture in casings. Tomorrow I hope to smoke the ones I have finished, and stuff the rest for a friday smoke.
Again .... My hat is off to you.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Hey cajun, sausage making is alot of work but it sure tastes good when your done smoking, my brother and I did 30lbs last thurs.

Heya, Tim!

Instead of going to all that work make some patties and chubs and freeze them! Home made fatties rule!

If you do not have a pattie press just freeze a blob of sausage mix and make it into patties when you thaw it to cook.

Cheers!

............................Bump.................. ...................

Tim -

Even if you buy a kit you can make just a small portion of it at a time. It's easier if you have a postal scale to weight the ingrediants but it can be done.
Congrats by the way. It gets easier after you get it down but sometimes the meat just doesn't want to co-operate.

I used to chill the meat to almost frozen, make little meatballs and smash them into patties. or roll them in plastic wrap to make skinnies. Heck you could even prefab Fatties for the smoker!

i started with a plunger style stuffer last year used it twiceand swore off stuffing forever.but itwas two late i had the taste of homeade polishes in me.went and bought a verticle stuffer and gained 10 lbs.but what a way to go. oyeah i gave away the plunger last wk , poor guy
icon_smile.gif

Some fatty's for the future do sound better than putting the rest into casings.
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Hey Tim, Glad to see you are moving forward with the sausage. We all bust a few casings from time to time and sometimes more than others so don't let that discourage you. Probably 30 lbs was a little much for your maiden voyage, but since you have already started.... It is a shame that you cannot get anyone to help.

Well I probably have enough stuffed to last me for awhile....... next time it will be planned and help will be on site.

cajun

it does get easier as you go i used to have a hard time stuffing the natural casings but have now learned to do it with out busting them it takes practice good luck next time

Dont give up yet,it gets easier with time.My first couple of tries were disasters.The main thing is to have your mix right.Grab a handful and close your fist tight.If its right the meat should squeeze out between your fingers.If its too dry just add a little liquid and remix.Also don't let it sit in the fridge and get all crusty on top cause this will tear the hell out of your casings.As you are stuffing sometimes you will get air pockets,if this happens just ***** a small hole to let the air out.When you are loading your stuffer make sure you pack it in there good.If you have voids the air will build up and cause the meat to shoot out suddenly which is a major cause of torn casings.Practice makes perfect.

DO NOT give up. With a few more stuffings and a little more outings with your stuffer you will get the how too's. I would say for the first time stuffing you are doing fine. Keep on working it !!!

Thanks everyone ... As for giving up, thats not gonna happen. Probably a little over my head for first time and doing it by myself. It was a good learning experience. That kit had been haunting me. I can now move on the better experiences.
redface.gif

Well I couldn't let this thread die without a few pics of my latest endeavor. Sure learned alot on this one, but that's part of our great hobby. Sorry ... the pics are in reverse order.
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky