Time to smoke a butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

preston897

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Weatherford Tx.
Well this will be my first butt and my first overnight smoke tonight. Hopefully all turns out well. I picked up a butt from my local butcher a week ago and put it in the freezer. I got it all thawed out this morning and seasoned up. Im guessings its about 7#. Not totally sure because they gave it to me for free so they didnt weigh it. I made my own rub. Its similar to one i have do e for st. Louis ribs in the past that i really enjoyed...but i didnt write it down. So i tried to get close from memory. Its a paprika base with salt pepper onion and garlic powder. Nothing crazy. Ill be starting it at about 8 tonight. As for now she is wrapped up in the fridge. As far as wood goes i did a mix of hickory and cherry last week on a chicken that i really liked. How do yall think that would taste with a butt?

Hello.  Sounds like a good plan AND you already learned a valuable lesson.  KEEP A SMOKING LOG.  Include recipes, starting weight, cook times, cook temp, outside temp, windy/still, anything you can think of.  Helps to recreate a process or tweak a recipe. Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Reactions: usmc6531
The butt came out great! I started having temp issues in my uds so when the butt hit 170 i wrapped it with some beer and put it in the oven. At 190 it was tearing apart easily. The rub i made was excelent. Even though the outside was a bit crispy it was still good. It paired well with the bbq sauce i made.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky