Time to celebrate!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
Portland, OR
So we finally got our first official day above 70°!
biggrin.gif

c33d25da_DSCN0394.jpg

That's a good enough excuse in my book to fire up the WSM and cook up some ribs!

The Costco around here quit carrying the full slab of spare ribs, and now carries the St. Lois cut spare ribs - they are actually done very well! This was the first time I had bought them and I do like them.

Here are the three victims all rinsed, dried, and ready to get some rub!

3b9051cf_DSCN0395.jpg

.... short while later, a slather of mustard, and some home made rub! We are ready to go!
sausage.gif

9f30787a_DSCN0397.jpg

Onto the WSM at 250° with some cherry wood for the smoke.

a80e182a_DSCN0399.jpg

Fast forward 3 hrs. and ready to foil.... had two in the foil then rememberd to take a pic.... lol.

10751ae3_DSCN0400.jpg

Left them in the foil for about 1 hr. 20 min., and I discoverd that if you foil them without any additional liquid they come out perfect! Very moist, but not falling appart.

ca64ce71_DSCN0401.jpg

Brushed them with some sauce and tossed onto the Weber Kettle for a high heat caramelization of the sauce.

311a9663_DSCN0402.jpg

Oh snap! Man those look good! They came out perfect, just a nice light smoke ring and loads of flavor!

9f784d09_DSCN0403.jpg

.... and if this don't spell the end to a perfect day then I don't know what does!

f99e0dd6_DSCN0404.jpg

Except maybe this! (my 10 yr. old daughter checked out a cook book based upon Disneys The Princess and the Frog movie, and this is "Ray's Mud Pie" - she made it all by herself)

e33ebe03_DSCN0406.jpg

Nice looking Ribs and tell your Daughter, Great Job on the Pie!!! Heck, she will be kicking your Butt in the kitchen by 15!...JJ

Great job on the ribs man and congrats to your daughter on a great dessert 

Thanks all! Just tucking into half a dozen ribs for lunch!
drool.gif

My daughter liked all the compliments on her desert.... I told her I expect her to be cooking dinner for me by the time she's 16... lol.

Send me a PM if you want some kid friendly recipes - I have them from our 4H class we teach 

Very nice looking St Louie's.  Can't beat the WSM...Now give us the rub and your sauce recipe for our close scrutinization!  LOL

Ray's Mud Pie...WELL DONE!
Well if I actually wrote down my recipes I could give you exact amounts but here is the basics:

RUB:
  • 3/4 C brown sugar
  • 1/4 C Paprika
  • 1/4 C Granulated Garlic
  • 2 Tbs. Kosher Salt
  • 2 Tbs. fresh cracked pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. cayanne powder
  • taste it and adjust as desired... you can add if you want as well.
SAUCE:
  • 1 Part Sweet Baby Rays Original
  • 1/2 part cider vinegar
  • 1/2 part apple juice
  • Molassas to taste
  • Heat to a low simmer and let it reduce by approx. 1/3 to 1/2 - taste and adjust as neaded. It is a somewhat thin sauce with a nice tang to it.
I am just across the river from you in Washougal. I cooked the smae ribs and some ABT's (first time with ABT's...not the last after they went so fast!). Here is tohoping the sun sticks around a bit...but looking out the window, it is wishful thinking :(
On the plus side this next weekend is supposed to nice as well.... time for more ABT's!
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky