Thursday night riblets!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hambone1950

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
Metrowest Boston , ma.
Ok , so the grocery store had a BOGO on baby backs and I bought a couple. Not exactly sure where on the pig the riblet is located , but whatever.

Being a semi retired person , I found myself at loose ends on a Thursday and I decided to deploy the WSM and smoke these riblets. It was raining early in the day so I parked my truck in the driveway and set up the WSM in the garage....
http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums...28f52ff81439655939799f7340fe3_zps7bfc1cd8.jpghttp://s1265.photobucket.com/albums...358655278959a1f688e2b82d43f06_zpsa115206a.jpg

filled the charcoal ring with frontier lump, a few chunks of maple for smokewood ,put the can in the middle,lit the chimney,and we're on our way to smokey town !

http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums...11a929c636354e432a91dd10ab59e_zps42d6f8ab.jpg
http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums...5b1c7895a30d326fb0d8e135e2d55_zpsd09dac87.jpg

meanwhile , back in the kitchen , the ribs have been rubbed with a basic pork rub that Alton brown and I seem to like pretty well . Brown sugar ,salt,pepper,oregano and thyme....

after a while , the fire is ready and the ribs go on the top rack of the WSM . (Foiled water pan,foil wrapped brick for a heat sink)

so my plan was to do a 2-1-1 method with these. I planned to foil one rack and not the other....so the ribs are on the smoker is at 250 and I took a 45 minute walk so I wouldn't be clucking over the smoker like a mother hen.
http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums...be4c112461b8a952d4c1c942b3144_zpsb8cf72e0.jpg

2 hours in I take a peek....and I threw on a few spuds just for giggles.

foiled one rack with some brown sugar and a little coke for moisture. (I would've preferred apple juice , but , alas , I had none.). Threw them back on the smoker. One foiled , one bareback. (I don't have a picture of that but why would I lie?)

ok , at the three hour mark , I unwrap the foiled rack which turns out to be done. Bend test , check. Toothpick test , check. So I put it back for 15 minutes to firm it up. The bareback rack is not quite there , so I figure I'll leave it on another half hour and check it again.....which I did.

i apologize for the lack of good pix of the finished product , but things got a little hectic at the supper hour and I only managed one shot of my plate with a couple ribs , baked smoked potato (which was delightful) and a fresh ear of corn on the cob , (which was sublime , but not smoked).
The ribs were excellent. Tender,moist,smoky (but not overpoweringly so). The foiled rack was very near to FOB without being mushy. Sweetie pronounced them "very nice". The bareback rack was a little more toothsome , which I enjoyed , but I have to say , they were both good and a nice change of pace from chicken , (which we seem to eat a lot of these days).
well , thanks for looking and I hope you all have a great weekend. Gonna be hot next week. Get outside and scorch some meat!

Looks mighty fine. We did ribs a couple days back, great minds 
icon_idea.gif

Nice job...those ribs look awesome. I've seen riblets in the market & they don't look like that...lol.....usually the bits left over after trimming up for St. Louis style.  Those look like straight up BB's.

Ribs look very good, nice smoke ring. How exactly does the can of coals in the middle work?

You start with the can in the middle , pile your charcoal around it , pour the lit coals into the can ,then pull the can out with pliers or a gloved hand....you end up with this. I neglected to mention that both ends are removed from the can , so it's like a piece of stovepipe.....in fact some people use stovepipe for this purpose.

Nice and neat. I feel like you get a good even burn this way rather than scattering your lit charcoal and lighting the fire all helter skelter....

Last edited:
Nice job...those ribs look awesome. I've seen riblets in the market & they don't look like that...lol.....usually the bits left over after trimming up for St. Louis style.  Those look like straight up BB's.

Yeah , I think you're right , chef. I think the meat manager was just bored and decided to fancy up the label on these. :grilling_smilie:

You start with the can in the middle , pile your charcoal around it , pour the lit coals into the can ,then pull the can out with pliers or a gloved hand....you end up with this. I neglected to mention that both ends are removed from the can , so it's like a piece of stovepipe.....in fact some people use stovepipe for this purpose.

Nice and neat. I feel like you get a good even burn this way rather than scattering your lit charcoal and lighting the fire all helter skelter....
I can't find the charcoal chimneys that have the drop out bottom so the lit coals fall in a nice pile when lifting the chimney.  They seem to be fixed in the chimney anymore.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky