Thermometers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chili

Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Illinois
What is the best type of leave in thermometer to use. I am new at smoking just bought a Traeger pellet grill and I love cooking on it as a grill now I want to smoke any help??

I use a Maverick ET73 and am very happy with the dual monitoring

In my opinion, two types of therms are a plus to this hobby.

Suggestion #1: Maverick ET-73 use to measure grate temp and internal temp of 1 meat at the same time, from the convenience of 100ft away. There was an excellent thread outlining a mod to the antenna on the remote unit to extend the range of use. LINK

Another bonus are the probe cords. They can maintain a good amount of abuse and still not break down.

Suggestion #2: thermapen, hands down. These are a bit pricey (price shop when you do buy) but eliminate the need to maintain 5+ therm units to probe and watch different cuts of meat, depending on how many things you smoke at a time. The accuracy is excellent and it has a calibration feature on it (if necessary) to ensure that the temps are correct to your region/altitude. I've been smoking meats for over 2 years and have spent more money replacing probes and base units to equal 3 thermapens, which is why I now own one
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky