Thermometer calibration

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

99xjlove

Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Grand Junction, Colorado
I was just wondering at what point water should boil at 4500ft. I am trying to calibrate my new Maverick ET-7 and when I stuck it in the boiling water it read 206-207 on both probes. Anyone that can point me in the right direction, please do so!

dont know, you could also check it by filling a cup with crushed ice and then filling with water, take you probe and stir it, you should come up with 32 degrees.

we have a member here that lives it littleton colorado and he says water boils at 198 degrees.

hope this helps.

at sea level, water boils at 212F. However, for every 500 feet above sea level, water boils about at 0.9F less. At 1,000 feet, then, water boils at about 210.2; at 2,000 feet, about 208.4; at 3,000 feet, about 206.6, etc. Hope this helps!!

If that is correct then my thermometer is only like 1-2 degrees off. Hope that is correct! Littleton is a Denver suburb so it is at 5,200 and some change. I am sitting at 4,500ft or so. I could be close but how can I be sure about the exact temp?

Well the temp reads just fine. But i'm smoking 2 corned beef's right now and on the trial run of the thermometer I can't be more than 20ft from the transmitter with the reciever. I smoke in my shed because it has a concrete floor and keeps the wind and rain away and the house is like 70ft from that. I'm not very satisfied right now because that model said it was good up to 100ft.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky