The Prime Black Angus Brisket ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
This last week the door bell goes off and on the back porch is a cardboard box. Hurrying so as not to allow too many of these HUGE mosquitos in the house, I pick it up and the cardboard box tears. I am sure you can relate. So I quickly push it all in the house. In the cardboard box is a Styrofoam cooler. Now I am really perplexed. Its not those new jockey underwear I had ordered.

I open the box slowly thinking maybe it was full of kittens or something, and I see a cryopac surrounded by Nordic ice packs. Its a huge honkin piece of beef. My butcher likes me, but I didn't think this was her doing. Here's what it looked like.

Wow, I am impressed, I have read where some folks find theses mixed into the choice in the meat counter. I have never been that lucky. Matter a fact, truth be told, not sure I have ever seen a prime before other than pictures here. Look at this baby!

I am almost giddy with excitement! Wanting to know what raffle I had won, I tear thru all the paperwork. It tells about where this beef came from, the steers name was Bevo and he had a last meal of oats and molasses the morning of his demise. Well almost...... but he came from a Kansas City feed lot, and if a Kansas City butcher doesn't know beef, well a Dallas lawyer don't know law either. I finally find a card and it shows its from a good friend.

The beef is cool but not cold so immediately its in the coldest reefer. The next day the cryopac is removed and the meat is amazing. Normally I would just trim a very little, rub it with salt and pepper and smoke. I decided this deserved a little more respect, so I injected it with a lot of beef broth with just a little Tatonka dust in the liquid. AND added my rub.

BTW that is a full oven pan, tray. That Bevo dude was one monster! Then I wrapped it up in plastic wrap and returned it to the reefer for 3 or 4 days.

I pulled it out tonight, cut away the plastic wrap, touched up the rub. BTW there was less than a teaspoon of juices in the plastic wrap. It was all absorbed in the meat still. Zowie!

I did something abnormal for me, I went ahead and inserted the maverick probe. Why? Because I wanted to get it in the right spot to get that temp right.

Its on a 1/2 tray now. I swear I didn't trim that much off!

The smoker is cruising at 220, the Cold smoker is loaded with pecan and ready. Thinking I will wait till I get an IT of 100 to start that smoke. You can tell me it doesn't matter if ya like, but it just works best for me. Vent fully open until I kick in the smoke later.

So at 10PM I slide this little jewel in the smoker, the IT upon entry is a cool 34 degrees.

BTW did I mention this my maiden voyage not only with a prime angus brisket but also a new replacement smoker! I been burning her in and checking her out all week. LOL.. although I did have to wait for them to ship me a replacement part for it. Snake bite!

LOL... that brisket extends from side to side, and from front to back. I loaded the chip tray with a few charcoal brickets I probably won't add anymore.

Its now midnight, or 2 hours later the briskets IT is 65. I am really having a good time too. I put on a pot of pintos, and a couple of cured smoked hocks to throw in them. Oh added some garlic and onion to the bean pot. trying to decide now on potato salad or slaw.

Be back later with updates. 

Ok, only 4 hours in and its 101 IT, its time to lay down some smoke!! Crack the bottom ashtray on the cold smoker, close the MES40 exhaust vent to about 1/2, and trip the switch.

How's it looking? Remember its only been 4 hours and its 101 IT.

And the brisket, well I tried, I wish you could see the fat surrounded grain.

Is that not a beautiful picture? If I were married I throw my wife's picture out and carry that in my wallet. Pffft.... and you wonder how I could single huh?

Not hot enough to render yet, but its sort of jiggles like jello......

Beans makin the house almost unbearable ( now I didn't mean I had ate a big bowl), I was referring to that delicious aroma wafting up from the pot. 

I may not make it till lunch!

Last edited:
Jeez Kevin.... that looks awesome.... the little trickles of fat ooooooozing out of the meat grain.... Plenty of intramuscular fat for sure...
I don't suppose you're gonna take a hunk back to the "she" who donated it... Sly :devil: you are...

Jeez Kevin.... that looks awesome.... the little trickles of fat ooooooozing out of the meat grain.... Plenty of intramuscular fat for sure...
I don't suppose you're gonna take a hunk back to the "she" who donated it... Sly
devil.gif
you are...
I know, its really a beautiful piece a meat.

Dave seriously it is a guy this time, and believe me I should checking out how he smokes his! Oh and don't even think it, Homey don't swing that way! LOL

Update:: 11 1/2 hours in, reached a 165 IT, bagged it and tagged it. I told ya this one deserves so-me respect so I am doing stuff I have never done before. My Dad is thinking I am stupid now..... "Wrap it up? In what?" I have not said anything about the meat to him, I sure hope I hit this out the park..... LOL and he'll tell everyone how strange yet smart I am......ROFLMAO!! He's laughed for years and told folks how I could smoke with electricity, seriously!

Lets see some more pictures now I think.

Grrr.... going to have to relog and reboot to see if I can get the editor to work. Be right back.

I'mmmmmm Back!

The hard fat is soft, the meat is starting to relax a little, and it smells unbelievable! I am still wondering were all that injected stock and seasoning went to?

Just look at that. Even I am impressed. BTW I didn't rub any sugar, that's why its not all black, I prefer my beef this way.  Do you know how hard it was NOT to wittle a little corner taste off this thing?

LOL.... like my paper? It came with the brisket! I will show you later how the whole box and everything in it is used. LOL Well except the cryo-pac.

OK, I have to say that's a wrapped soup sandwich! One person, rolling and wrapping and not breaking the probe while still getting the string around it and tied up. LOL If I had two more arms it would have still been a soup sandwich! And as a good Boy Scout I can tie a knot or two.

Oh did I mention I poured a little pickle juice in before binding it all up?

Back in the smoker and the cold smoker turned off. Now awaiting the 190+ mark to start the next step.

Be back later for a Cornfield County update and hog report!

Last edited:
Foam that looks great,here I am stirring 19 meatballs around in a pot,drooling thinking about that brisket.

Richie

Gee Whiz Foam that is one hell of a brisket for sure.You need to send that friend of yours a nice Christmas package. That is awesome, BTW you are making me hungry. I'll be watching this one for the money shot.
241.png
Yeppers even though he'd be the first to say its not a contest. Sound like a friend?  But I'll have to think of something appropriate. Gotta be something he'll enjoy the same, like I am this brisket. 

Last edited:

Foam that looks great,here I am stirring 19 meatballs around in a pot,drooling thinking about that brisket.

Richie
 Man a good meatball is a think of wonder!  I actually love a good meatball Poboy, Grinder, Sub, etc.....  The kind with cheese on top and when ya pick it up and squeeze just a little it gets all dripy and juicy..... Over the top is when your eating and it drips off your elbows!

Richie its in a stall right now, I am acting like a newbie rookie and getting aggravated at it! LOL I have checked the Maverick and the probe twice already....LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky