Thanksgiving Meats

Discussion in 'Pork' started by austinl, Nov 20, 2011.

1. austinl

austinl Smoking Fanatic

The main piece we did was a 22 lbs. ham a friend of mine cured himself.  It came out a little salty even after we let it soak in water for 2 hours so I guess next time we will have to adjust the curing method.  It took it 16 hours to finish but we didn't mind because one of my neighbor's trees fell over into a power line and knocked out power to the whole block for most of the day.  This is about half way through.

[​IMG]

This is the finished product

[​IMG]

here is a cross section

[​IMG]

We also did a turkey but nothing too special for it, just rubbed it down with some store bought poultry seasoning and let her go.

[​IMG]

here is the pulled apart meat from the turkey

[​IMG]

2. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Very nice ham

I really like the color of the bird [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the Qview

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

They both look delicious!

4. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

Both look ready for the table.

5. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Man both of those look delicious.

6. frizzlefry

frizzlefry Smoke Blower

Looks delicious!

7. austinl

austinl Smoking Fanatic

Thanks for looking.  They were pretty much table-ready.  The turkey was excellent and although it was the first one I've done, I have lots of chickens under my belt so it was a breeze.  Like I said above the ham had a great flavor although it was a tad salty.  A friend got it fresh from a butcher and within 6 hours it was in the curing process.  I couldn't tell you much about the curing because he was in charge of it but its something I think I want to get into, just not on a 22 pound hunk like that as I would be the only one eating it in my house.

8. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

You pulled a nice smoke well done it looks great