Texas Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coolerhead

Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
Abilene, TX
Hey all. Got a Cajun Injector for Christmas. New to smoking. First attempt today smoking a bone in 9 lb. turkey breast. Temp set at 225. Smoked for 5 hours. Internal temp never got above 154. Concerned about safety so I pulled it and threw in the oven to finish out. Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it is just directions to a relevant thread. Also wondering how often to add chips with this smoker. 1/4 cup at a time. Thanks in advance!

Howdy Cooler.

That breast should have taken about 9 or more hours to cook. The internal  Temperature of meats sometimes stall for a bit and then begin to rise again.   You might think something is wrong because you've seen constant  rise in temp and then it appears to have "stopped cooking"    Next time just wait it out.  Unless you have tripped over the electrical cord on your smoker and didn't know, It will began to rise again. lol

B

Last edited:
[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Thank you for the welcome and the advice. I have heard there was a danger zone for the temp to camp out at for too long. I wasn't sure if I was flirting with disaster at 154. I read to expect 30 to 40 minutes per pound. Is that an unreal estimate? Also the outside temp was between 35 and 40 degrees. Temp inside the smoker remained fairly steady between 215 and 235.

Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky