tender boston butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rr41mag

Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
I've done another butt and still can't seem to get it tender "pull apart" No matter how big I build my fire my temp gauge only gets to around *220. I smoked it around 8 hrs.

Check your temp gauge with a digital probe, what was the meat temp when finished

I've done another butt and still can't seem to get it tender "pull apart" No matter how big I build my fire my temp gauge only gets to around *220. I smoked it around 8 hrs.
It is under cooked. You will probably have to smoke for 2 hours per pound to get it tender at 220° You need to get the IT to 185° - 195° to be tender for sliced and 200°- 205° for pulled. What kind of smoker do you have?

I see this is your first post. When you get a chance will you drop by roll call so everyone can give you a proper SMF welcome? 

Happy smoken.

David

What pit are you cooking on that you can't get above 220°?

Are you using charcoal? Lump or briquettes? How are you starting the fire?

Please tell us the weight of the butt- ie. an 8 pound butt cooked at 220° will take a very long time to get to an internal temp suitable for pulling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky