Temperature Matters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

acemakr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
A few days ago I scored one of these.

I checked it in some boiling water and it read 211 - so, good to go. Mind you, I'd also done that to two other analog thermometers with the same results. During yesterday's smoke, the digital read out was a good 90 degrees below what the analogs read. Now I have a better idea of why my cooks up to this point have been less than stellar more like crusty and black.

I suspect that over time we can all get a better handle on controlling temperature but unless we have a thermometer that's correct you'd just a well be a screen door salesman in a submarine factory.

btw, when I calibrated the analog thermometers, I didn't have heat resistant gloves and I'm guessing that measly 2" stem got my non-asbestos fingers too close to the boiling water for a legit reading.

I'll probably get a couple of spare meat probes later today at Amazon.com

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky