Temp probe question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jak757

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Akron, Ohio
I know people use a block of wood with a hole drilled through, or a potato to hold the temp probe at grate level. Would a ball of aluminum foil work in a pinch? I can't think of why not. I know it is a better conductor of heat, but I can't think of why that would matter.

But then, I defer top those who know more about these things (and physics perhaps) than I.

Any thoughts?

In a real pinch you could use a ball of foil. I wouldn't I mean don't you have and old shoe or something??? No you can use alot of things maybe and apple, lemon, maybe a an ols chair leg. You really need something toget it off the grate but then let's think here the actually tipof the probe does the reading so in theory you could hang it from a grate or thur a grate would work you know in a PINCH.

Thanks Mballi -- that's kind of what I thought. I hope to season my smoker when I get home tonight, and realized I may not have any potatoes...and don't want to take the time to find, cut and drill wood. Thought about an apple (have plenty of them), but though they may mush up.

So I was thinking that in this "pinch", I'd ball up some foil so I can read the temps.

Of course our little girl does have a bunch of shoes she has outgrown....

Finally got the thing built with mods -- and tonights weather will be clear to season. Can't wait!! And maybe it won't rain this weekend as called for here, and I can finally cook on it!!

I used an orange a few weeks ago, You could pick up a faint orange taste in the meat... Or maybe it was just me but either way it worked!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky