Temp issue...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kurt boutin

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Southern NH
So, I'm probably going to be putting together a couple fatties for Sunday, but am a little concerned about my smoker temp.  In the past, I've gone the 225-230 route to smoke the fatties.  My smoker (a Masterbuilt propane vertical) runs hot...when I did ribs and chicken a few weeks ago, I was running about 270 when it got up to temp (and that was as low as it would go).  I'm going to play around with trying to keep the heat down, but the main question is:

If I'm cooking to temp, what's the downside of running a couple fatties at 270 until the inside gets to 165?

Kurt

nuthin' really......you're only 20 degrees +/- a few from what used to be considered the 'optimal' low & slow temp of 250. 225 (IMO only) seems a tad low. Many smokers are now running a little more 'fast & furious' ala Myron Mixon style and getting good results so....no hard & fast rules....Willie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky