Tarpon anyone?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Africanmeat you are so very right in that statement.  We really liked St. John when we were there previously and the friends we made there are so welcoming and genuinely glad we are coming back. Already 2 job interviews for Friday at...get this... Dive Shops!  I love diving and worked at a shop for over 7 years back in MN so this takes it up a notch!

Oh...and this little (not so little, about 5') guy was hanging out this morning...luckily I didn't see him when I was snorkeling amongst the fry fish and tarpon!

d248e558_P9141258.jpg

Uh-Oh!!!

Sounds like we might end up getting some "Uview" soon?!?!   (Underwater View)

Again---Best of luck, John!

Bear

BTW: Leave the Shark alone!!!

Last edited:
Bear - hoping for a mutual respect from the underwater predators.  I will leave them alone of they do the same!   Besides...bad karma to eat something the can easily eat you! 

John

We get those type of scenes here off our beach's,especially when the mullet/sardines run. Not a big fan of sharks! Stingray recipe coming I do a couple partly because its sustainable fish. You just cook the wings.Ill post one that doesnt require a bunch of ingredients that might be hard to get where you are. We get a lot of really big rays that scavenge where people clean fish. Some the size of tabletops,the little guys are best eating. I will do a bit of research first,Im at fish market tomorrow chasing Albacore tuna so I will try to figure out which species is sold as skate. Pork & clams post coming soon.

Bear - hoping for a mutual respect from the underwater predators.  I will leave them alone of they do the same!   Besides...bad karma to eat something the can easily eat you! 

John
LOL---After Vietnam, I got stationed in Hawaii. Took Mrs Bear to the beach, and I went snorkeling. Beautiful fish all over the place---Pretty coral---Nice blue water.

Then I saw a small cave looking hole, so I swam over & looked in. Right inside was one of those big super-ugly Moray eels, with a head the size of my fist, and big teeth !!!!  
eek.gif

Signal---It was time to go lay on the beach with Mrs Bear!!!!

Bear

Such a world of difference between the little shortfinned eels that get smoked & the big guys. They have a real evil eye look about them& those curved teeth. Stingray recipe coming . At the markets here theres Southern Eagle Ray,just the wings.I dont know where the cut off point is on size to distinguish tasty from the non tasty. Most of the recipes involve skinning the wing then poaching gently in water,lemon ,vinegar ,gbp, parsley stalks. Take it out keep it warm then make a butter sauce with capers,lemon white wine vinegar. I have made it exactly this way. I did find a recipe that used apple cider & orange that looks good but I  havent cooked it. If I  get the time I will cook i then post it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky