Tamale making...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

inkjunkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
Have no idea where to put this so...
While the Boss is busy mixing up another batch of meat I have a minute.
Let me start with if you are one of those folks that needs to measure things you might as well move on, as that ain't happening when Tamales are made.
Start out with smoking some meat, we used a pork butt, sorry no pics of him....and a Chuckie... Gotta get back to work...be back in a while...

MY MAN!  Been waiting for this!  I have a ( gringo ) recipe but getting the "how to" ( and picts ) from some one who does it all the time is invaluable.  Keep 'em coming inkjunkie!  
popcorn.gif
  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Last edited:
I have a bag of masa I've been meaning to use for tamales. Do I just mix it with water for the dough? I put it in a ziplock bag and stupidly threw the package (where the recipe was) away.

Last edited:
MY MAN!  Been waiting for this!  I have a ( gringo ) recipe but getting the "how to" ( and picts ) from some one who does it all the time is invaluable.  Keep 'em coming inkjunkie!  :popcorn   Keep Smokin!
Danny
Keep in mind I'm a Gringo as well....just being supervised by a Mexican lol.

I have a bag of masa I've been meaning to use for tamales. Do I just mix it with water for the dough? I put it in a ziplock bag and stupidly threw the package (where the recipe was) away.
We don't make our own Masa. Ernestina doesn't make a dozen Tamales, way too much work to only make a dozen. She bought ten pounds of it from a Mexican restaurant/deli. We have no way to mix that much. We will probably end up with 9 dozen or so out of ten pounds of Masa and 17 or so pounds of meat.

Corn husks being soaked... We left them in a sink over night. Prior to spreading the Masa we spread them out on cookie cooling racks and the grates of the smoker
The ones that we did not spread out get shaken some to remove the water, if the husks are to wet the Masa just sort of rolls off of them.

Thsee Tamales are uncharted territory for us. Normally the meat is cooked in a crockpot with some diced onions and garlic cloves. For chiles she would normally take dried chiles and boil them, take a bit of the hot water and combine it with the chiles in a blender creating a slurry...gotta go

Boss just told me it was 11 pounds of Masa. Ended up with 10 dozen Tamales and another couple dozen just Masa Tamales. Need to rearrange everything, be back shortly....

Last edited:
So much for break time, now we will be making some tortillas. But before I forget....
Normally the chile slurry will be mixed into the meat while the meat is still warm. Pulled the 2 of them last night at 11 or so & went to bed so that didn't happen.
Warming the smoked meat on the stove top, it is easier to make Tamales with warm meat, resuled in the meat drying out. She added some beef stock while adding the spices. Which was a boat load of freshly ground chile powder, salt and onion powder. More on this later, would like to ask you folks some questions....

Last edited:
Let me give you my address I do like tamales 

Gary

We have friends (New Meixco Natives) that do an annual tamale making party on Christmas eve. They supple everything. She is vegan so there are two batches. The vegan tamales are Hatch Chile. The others are pulled pork. They buy a give gallon bucket of Maza from one of the Hispanic markets. Mix the Maza as needed. They keep the husks soaking in five gallon buckets. Grab a husk dry on towel spread maza add filling. Repeat! It's an all day event and everyone goes home with a pile of tamales. Good times!

LOL... he hasn't come back, she's keeping his head down working.......
You guessed it Sir...lol...was just laughing at how much tortillas shrink when thrown on a hot skillet.
What dirtsailor described above pretty much sums up what Christmas was like for my wife growing up. They would have an assembly line set up, often making 50 dozen Tamales.

Process is very simple but can be time consuming. Soak husks, prepare meat. Season meat to taste. Grab some olives if so inclined. Ernie hates them so...

A casual observation from the half a dozen times I have helped make Tamales.
NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER (did I mention NEVER) open a blender and stick your face over it while it is grinding chiles just removed from boiling water...the pain that follows will not soon be forgotten.

Reactions: themule69
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky