Tale of two butts and the apple wood guy. Heavy Qview!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billbo

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 19, 2007
Upstate NY
I was busy this weekend smoking away. My in-laws were coming over to celebrate my Wife & I's birthdays. Of course I wanted to smoke something so I picked up a couple of butts. I wanted to do pulled pork. I had done one butt years ago and it was a disaster. I wanted to set that right.

With the rub on them. Notice one is skinnier than the other? The fat one is butt one, the skinny guy is butt two.

The spritz mix. 90% purple grape juice amd 10% Aunt Jemimah. The bottle in the middle is SoFlQuer's finishing sauce.

Time to fire up the drum at 11pm! Loaded up the basket along with hickory chunks.

On the butts go at midnight. I had the drum dialed in at 235° or so by 12:45am. Set my ET-73 and went to bed. The ET woke me up once at 2:30am as my temps dropped. I ran outside in my skivies, opened the intake a little more and went back to bed.

Never heard from the ET until 4:30am. This time a butt one had hit 165°. The drum was still dialed in nice. Butt two was at 158°. I foiled up butt one and went back to bed. I got up around 6:30am to a beautiful morning.

The smoker station. See that brush pile behind the tree? I started cleaning that mess up and discovered some plum I had pruned off a tree a year ago! I had forgotten about it! Score!

The drum dialed in with the TBS.

Con't on next post!

Butt one went to 4pm before it hit 205°. I only could let it rest for an hour and a half due to schedule but it was great. Fell off the bone.

Nana brought over her German potato salad. I love that with the vinager taste, wow!

Plated with my sauce on top. I had some plain too just with the finishing sauce mixed in and that was good too. I like BBQ sauce on it the best.

Now, butt two meanwhile was stalled at 191° for an eternity. Yes the skinny guy was still on the smoker. That sucker went to 7pm then stalled again at 203°. That was close enough for me! I took it off and rested it for 2 hours then pulled it with finish sauce added.

Con't on next post!

A few weeks ago I sent out letters to the local fruit farmers asking for wood. One guy called me and said I could have all the apple I wanted. He cut down an entire orchard last year and it was all seasoned a ready to go. I packed him up a goodie bag and headed out there this morning. This guy had a field full of cut apple trees! Here is what I took. He said he loved meat and to come back anytime!

Fired up the chainsaw and away I went. I cut it into 2" pieces.

This is the plum wood. On the left is seasoned. On the right needs seasoning yet.

Here is the complete apple haul after splitting it up with an axe. Chunk city baby!

I hope everyone enjoyed the pics!

You are the king! Wow...very nice score on everything~ keep in good with that apple orchard guy.

Very nice haul you took home, congratulations.

This was a great post and the meal you had looked fabulous!! Love the potato salad, was that warm or cold?

Great score on the apple wood. That was thoughtful of you to take him some q so he knows what it's being put towards. If my guy ever cuts me some pecan then I'll have to take him a baggie of some q too!

Nice post!

Thanks for the compliments! I couldn't have done it without all of you! The potato salad was served hot but I do like it cold too.

GREAT post Billbo!!!!! All the pics were great and the food looks excellent. Thanks!

Best,
Trout

P.S. I dig your smoker. Did you make it?

Excellent looking smoke! Thanks for the Qview.

Great smoke Billbo....real nice Q-view!!
Congrats on the applewood score
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Great posts, Billbo, but the last pic that opened for me was your butt #1 plated with your sauce. After that it's all red Xes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky