Takin Chuck to the Game

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bourbonman

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Eastern Connecticut
Hey everybody!

I am looking to smoke a couple chuck roasts this weekend for the first time and had some questions. I want to work out the bugs with this smoke so I can do a few more in September to take to the Bengals/Patriots season opener. I plan on injecting and rubbing them today and wrapping them for the fridge overnight. I'll put them on the smoker tomorrow at around 9:00am and take them to 155-160 and foil to 200-205 because I want to pull the meat. I have a few questions:

1. Suggestions for injection?

2. Suggestions for the rub? Remember- I'm cooking for the masses so I can't go too spicy.

3. Foiling- I planned on getting a foil pan to catch the drippings, do I use this same pan for the foil portion of the cooking by just adding some braising liquid and covering with foil?

4. Resting- how long should I 'towel and cooler' the roasts? I don't plan on pulling until Sunday.

5. Best wood to use for chucks?

Any help is appreciated.

PS- Might try my hand at Qview on this smoke.

1. There are lots of recipes for injections on here if you do a little reading. But one of the most popular ones has a base of Beef broth. The one I use has beef broth, V8 and some other spices. Even just using Beef broth is great.

2. With beef a lot of people just use some very basic spices. A mixture of salt, pepper, garlic/onion powder and any other favorite spice you have.

3. Yes you can use the same pan that you catch the drippings in to foil the meat.

4. I like to rest mine for 1-3 hours depending on what I am doing that day. If I am eating it that day I will rest it until its time to eat but if I am cooking it that day to eat another day I will rest if for 1-2 hours. I would suggest pulling it the same day. It is very easy to heat up and you can run into problems trying to heat the meat back up to where its easy to pull.

5. Wood is all a personal preference. I like a bit of hickory and either cherry or apple mix but anything is good.

Hope everything goes well for you. The key is experimentation and find out what you like. Good luck and yes make sure you get us some Qview.

^ ^ ^ ^  that is what I do 
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky