Sweet & Sour Slaw Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hardslicer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Indiana
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new 'sweet & sour cole slaw' recipe.  I have tried the ones previously listed on the site....they have been on here awhile I think?  Just hoping someone has a killer recipe they want to share.  I like mine really strong!  The kind that makes you cough right before you slide a spoonful in your mouth...lol

I'm willing try try anything......thanks in advance for your help

Here is one we use all the time - we just buy the bagged pre chopped slaw but we love this one because it is not the typical sweet slaw. We cut the sugar in half
[h1]Creamy Cole Slaw[/h1]
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay

Prep Time:10 minInactive Prep Time:--Cook Time:--Level:EasyServes:8 servings

gl1b11_creamy_cole_slaw_med.jpg

[h2]Ingredients[/h2]concordance-begin
  • 1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
  • 2 large carrots, finely shredded
  • 3/4 cup best-quality mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons grated Spanish onion
  • 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon dry mustard
  • 2 teaspoons celery salt
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
concordance-end[h2]Directions[/h2]
Combine the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, sugar, vinegar, mustard, celery salt, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, and then add to the cabbage mixture. Mix well to combine and taste for seasoning; add more salt, pepper, or sugar if desired.
concordance-beginconcordance-end
/body-text SNI.Food.Omniture.CrossLinkTrack("#fn-w .body-text");

Last edited:
I just made one similar to Scar's, but used 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar instead of white, and added the zest and juice of a small lime, half a clove minced garlic, and added about 1 heaping tsp horseradish sauce (not straight horseradish!), also some chachere's and old bay.  Added a julienned red bell pepper, about 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (cilantro is awesome too), would've put in a small jalapeno but I didn't have one.  It went over well @ the party it went to.  I love slaw and all its variations - such a versatile dish! Cheers!

thanks Barbe.....I tweaked mine similar to what you did and it was mighty tasty.....love the input....thx

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky