Super confused about the MES 40 - 2011, 2012, new generation, old generation???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fat_46

Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Coon Rapids, MN
I'm looking to augment my UDS with an electric here in Minnesota.  I've searched, read, and read some more...and I'm more confused than when I started!

I like the features of the MES 40.  That being said- Amazon says 3-6 months shipping on the "new generation", leading me to believe it really isn't available, while the "old generation" is available.  Masterbuilt's web site shows out of stock on 2 different 40" models.  Walmart can ship to store, but which version will I be getting?

Which of the 3 wattages I see here is correct?  800?  850?  1200?

I'm fully prepared to spend $600-700 on a smoker, Maverick thermometer, and tube smoker, but I want to know what I'll actually be getting with a MES 40.

***qualifier***  I'm new here.  I've lurked alot, and have given an honest effort to searching for the answers.

I want to smoke fish, pork, beef, sausage, fatties, turkey, and chicken.  Maybe cheese on occasion. 

Thanks in advance(and if i should be looking at a different smoker, please let me know).

Funny you mention that Once A Marine - I was just researching the Smokin-It #3, and believe I've changed my mind.  It looks like it will do everything I need(once i add a few hardwood sausage dowels) and isn't significantly enough more money for me to worry about. 

I'm "this close" to pulling the pin on the #3, just trying to figure out if I need to pull it inside for the winter(space in the garage is a consideration) or if the cover will suffice.

Thanks for the input.

And the Smoken-It is out of the question.  $131 fedex Ground shipping on just over $500 worth of product is not something i can stomach.  Only shipping from Ohio to Minnesota, but...

I have a Old Generation with a 1200 Watt Coil. Search out Model # 20070311 all Stainless Steel and you should be happy. I don't experiense MN winters but mine sits on the covered balcony year round with just a Plastic Container covering the Electronics, Rain and Snow, no issues...JJ

Have my MES 40 for 2 + years, and I love it.

Best things about it:

All Stainless Steel (inside & out).

Remote control good for over 300 feet.

Glass viewing in door (easy to clean).

Very well insulated.

Needs 5 X 8 AMNPS for up to 11 hours of continuous perfect smoke.

Needs Digital remote therm, like ET 732.

Bear

Thanks(sincerely) to all who responded.  This is a great forum!

I ordered a MES 40 Old Generation, cover, and Maverick 732 from Amazon.  Smoker and the 732 will be here Friday, cover on Saturday.  I just took Friday off for assembly and seasoning!

1 brisket left in the freezer, so its time to get it out for a Saturday run!

Last edited:
Love my gen 1 MES 40 had it over a year now and had a 30 before that. You should be happy with it. Just like anything once you learn to use it and how it acts it is a great little elec. smoker. Let us know what you think. Definitely want the remote thermos. And the amnps.

Have my MES 40 for 2 + years, and I love it.

Best things about it:

All Stainless Steel (inside & out).

Remote control good for over 300 feet.

Glass viewing in door (easy to clean).

Very well insulated.

Needs 5 X 8 AMNPS for up to 11 hours of continuous perfect smoke.

Needs Digital remote therm, like ET 732.

Bear
yeahthat.gif
  X2 on everything Bear said...and I don't store mine outside, it sleeps in the garage.

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky