Super Bowl Wings. Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

soonerprices

Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
I plan on smoking some wings then breading them and deep frying them. 

Question about then skin. Should I leave it on the whole time?  If not when should I remove the skin. Before brine? After? After smoke? Before breeding them?

Last edited:
Leave the skin on. They will pick up some smoke flavor & the frying will get the skin crispy.

If doing buffalo wings I would think you would smoke then fry without breading.  At least that's the way I do them, but there are so many different recipes out there for wings.    If frying why would you deskin?

Let us know what you decide to do,  always like trying something new!. 

So deep fry with no breading hmmm. How about dredging them in some sauces. If so what suggestions do you have?  As far as the skin is concerned I just wasn't sure. That's why I asked. 

boy, sounds like a lot of work, taking the skin off wings.
30.gif

Yeah, nakkid wings is better anyway. Smoke, then fry.

Last edited:
Personally I would smoke them a bit then throw them in the oil to finish then crisp them up and then you season them with whatever BBQ sauce you want once they are all cooked. Basically you just put your sauce in a big bowl then throw the wings in the bowl and mix them up good to coat the wings.

I just put my wings in a brine and plan on smoking then deep frying tomorrow. I'm thinking to have them on the smoker for about 45min - 1hr at 225, then pull and set aside until ready to fry to finish them up. 

Thoughts on the time? I want them to have enough time on the smoker to get some flavor, but don't want them to finish on the smoker.

I just put my wings in a brine and plan on smoking then deep frying tomorrow. I'm thinking to have them on the smoker for about 45min - 1hr at 225, then pull and set aside until ready to fry to finish them up. 

Thoughts on the time? I want them to have enough time on the smoker to get some flavor, but don't want them to finish on the smoker.
Anytime you Smoke Chicken and plan on finishing it later you want to go to an Internal Temp of at least 145*F then in the fryer to finish...If the time between Smoker and Fryer is more than 30-60 minutes you must refrigerate the chix in between...1 hour at 225*F in the smoker should get you close 145*F so you can plan accordingly...JJ

Thanks Jimmy/JRod - I'll target 145. I'll probably smoke in the a.m, refrigerate, then finish in the fryer just as folks are arriving for the Super Bowl. Brine was a simple sugar/salt/peppercorn/garlic mix. Still debating whether or not to dry rub any before putting onto smoker, as I'll be doing three different sauces (buffalo, sweet chili, and garlic parm)

sounds like a plan. nothing better than smokin' wings and fryin' em up. I've smoked them then dredge in AP flour and also done it with no flour. personally I like it with out the flour better. as soon as they come out of the fryer hit them with a little salt (smoke some sea salt when your wings go on the smoker). Finishes it off nicely.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky