Sunday Bird

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wmarkw

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 29, 2007
Evans, GA
Hey all. Smoked a 4+lb whole bird for the first time. I've done plenty of qtrs, and splits but never the beer butt chicken. So being a sunday here and I can't buy beer but only 3.2 in the grocery I got a pounder of key light which ended up not fitting in my beer chicken holder. So that sucked but being such a big can I put the bird on that and did some balancing work to keep it steady in the smoker. I did a basic brine for a few hours and then used my rub. Inside the beer can, I had well beer, some butter, some garlic, more rub and then added some creole butter that I had from an injection kit.

My maverick probe fried out on me a couple of weeks back and my replacement is in the mail. So this was a timed smoke. I did it for about 4 hours and when the drumstick moved easily I knew it was done. I used hickory and basted w/ the creole butter a couple of times. A trick I did with my electric ecb was I didn't use any water in the pan and my temps held at 300*. So I got some decent crispy skin. Bird turned out good but could have been removed from the smoker about 20 minutes earlier. Not dry but the breasts could have been a bit moister. Need that probe before the 4th!! Anywho wordy post and on to the pics.

Nice looking bird and meal. I love that two color corn.

The bird's the word. You'll find ways to improve/change almost any smoke, it's all good.

That bird was dancing........................then you cut his legs off. And ate it. Great looking smoke.

Good looking bird! When I do the beer butt, I pare an onion down just to the size of the neck opening and stuff it shut. I think it helps hold in the moisture (just my opinion).

Thanks for the replies. I did wedge a lemon down there but removed it when I took the bird off the smoker with my tongs. I'm so used to using a temp probe and especially with chicken it made for a nervous smoke. I used caution though but it came out good, just know I can do better next time.

Corn was really good as was the slaw and the wife is in to making some sweet tea lately so it was a good sunday dinner.

I've heard of beer-butt chicken but never had it before... hope to try it soon. I also here that it tastes good with Dr. Pepper instead of beer so I'll experiment.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky