Sunday Baby Backs w/AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scooby

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Ordered an AMNPS 5x8 tray and some hickory pellets through Amazon Prime and they will be delivered today. Going to test it out on some baby backs that I got a sweet deal on. Here's what I've got so far.
Got this at my local ACE Hardware while I was picking up some fertilizer and Barricade for the yard.

Got these at my local HEB for 5.66 per rack which sounded like a steal so I bought two.

Peeled off the silver skin and it came off like buttah. Poured on the rub and wrapped them up in plastic over night.

My plan is a 2-2-1 with smoke all the way through and some Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce at the 1 stage. More to come........

I'm in!

popcorn.gif

Al

Postal Service came through

Got it started & ribs in the MES. Pulled the chip chute on the side and pulled the chip tray out about 2". The AMNPS is not in that position. I rotated it and pushed it back to the left corner on the bottom rack.

And now the wait begins.......

Say hello to my sidekick, Brutus.

UPDATE

Two hours in and out of the smoker for a double foiling and some honey crisp apple juice. Going to let them go 1.5 instead of two and check them as I've seen some posters regret going 2 full hours on baby backs. The white on the second rack is because it was directly over the AMNPS and got too much heat I guess. On that note, when I opened the door the pellets flared up and I had a devil of a time getting them to go out. Blowing them out resulted in embers everywhere and them re-igniting. Had to use the measuring cup for the juice to rake them apart then blow them out. I pushed them back together and shoved it back in there.

That is a steal on the meat. Was it marked down for a quick sale. I never see them that cheap at my HEB!! LOOKS DELICIOUS! !

Sale price I guess. It was in the regular meat section with no "buy it before it rots" label.

Reactions: spursfan
FINAL PRODUCT

Unfoiled and sauced after 1.5 hours. Then put them on the racks and let them go another hour. Final product was good but not fall off the bone tender. Had a bite to them but I wish they were a little more tender. Not sure what I could do better next time but I'm pleased with the results.

Those look great! Longer in the foil is the easiest way to get them more tender. Time to buy more ribs and practice!

Thanks. Not a big fan of pitmaster's choice blend, I kept getting a acrid after taste and can only figure it had to do with the maple wood in the blend. Wife said she couldn't taste it so maybe I'm being over critical but most of us quality cooks are so I don't know. Going to try hickory next time and will definitely leave them in foil longer. They were in for 1.5 at 240 in foil with 1/2 cup of apple juice per rack. How much longer you think?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky