Summer Sausage Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jonraney6

Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
I have been smoking 12.5 pounds of venision summer sausage in my MES 30 since noon today. Started out at 130, and got the sausage up to 95, then set the temp up to 150 and started smoking with some hickory sawdust. Now the dilemna, I have to head out of town for about 6 hours... Is it safe to leave them on at 150 until I get back home and then bump the temp up to 160-170 to finish them off and get the sausage temp up to 152? Or... would it be better to pull them out now and put back in the refrigerator until I am able to be here for the process?

Did you put any Cure in it?

What size are your casings?

What type of smoker?

Do you have someone to watch the smoker?

I have only have one batch under my belt, but there are some things that I may be concerned about.

This will bump it up to the top. You may want to PM BBQ engineer. I think he helped me out last week end when I did mine.

Someone will be along shortly.

Thanks for the assistance, things took a turn for the better and I just finished them up now @ 152 degrees... Hanging out for the night at room temp and will see how they turned out tomorrow. This was my first stab at sausage as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky