Summer Sausage Failure??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pfautz

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
I attempted to make a summer sausage.  I mixed it with seasoning and let it cure for 3 days then stuffed into casing.  Place in oven for 6 hours at 180.  Removed it from oven and put it in fridge.  After allowing to cool for several hours, I cut into it.  When I did it was like a paste and crumbled.  What did I do wrong?  I did not poke holes into the casing (could that of been it).  Help me out here. 

I attempted to make a summer sausage.  I mixed it with seasoning and let it cure for 3 days then stuffed into casing.  Place in oven for 6 hours at 180.  Removed it from oven and put it in fridge.  After allowing to cool for several hours, I cut into it.  When I did it was like a paste and crumbled.  What did I do wrong?  I did not poke holes into the casing (could that of been it).  Help me out here. 

Where ever you got those directions for making summer sausage, don't go back there again..... read up on this forum, how to make summer sausage...

That's a shame. I like to grind, mix spices and cure, stuff, then refrigerate overnight.

Try this:
Place in 130°F smoker and smoke for 4 hours
Raise the temperature slowly "bumping" to 180°F, continue applying smoke and hold at this temperature until an internal temperature of 160°F is reached.
Shower with cool water until an internal temperature of 90°F is reached.
Refrigerate at least 5 hrs before slicing.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky